Solved: new motherboard, old cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sdp3501

Shawn
Hi All,

I recently had my M/B conk out (MSI K7N2 Delta-L (MS6570G) Motherboard) and replaced it, grudgingly, with an ECS-741GX-M. It went in fine and everything but my CPU (AMD AthlonXP-A 2600+) isnt performing like it did. I had it overclocked with jumpers on the old M/B. The new M/B doesnt have the jumpers on it. As you can tell from my signature it was rockin! Now its running at 1.1 ghz. Any help?

sdp3501

Shawn
What would that do? Will it get my cpu back up to speed?

sdp3501

Shawn
like a wipe and reinstall, or reinstall over the top of the last install? Im asking because I have a 40 gig H/D and its getting full and I think its because i reinstalled xp and it saved all of the old crap.

During the boot up , does your BIOS detect the CPU as being a 2600+.
running at 1100 would seem to indicate it is not recognizing it properly

sdp3501 said:
Hi All,

I recently had my M/B conk out (MSI K7N2 Delta-L (MS6570G) Motherboard) and replaced it, grudgingly, with an ECS-741GX-M. It went in fine and everything but my CPU (AMD AthlonXP-A 2600+) isnt performing like it did. I had it overclocked with jumpers on the old M/B. The new M/B doesnt have the jumpers on it. As you can tell from my signature it was rockin! Now its running at 1.1 ghz. Any help?
use a program called wcpuid and post info, I think your fsb or multipliers arent set right in bios is all.

crjdriver

While I agree that you should clean install the os after a mb change, it is not causing your problems. Your fsb is set to 100. You need to set it for the correct speed. There are three different 2600 chips as I recall [it has been a while since I have messed with amd xps] There is a 133 / 266 fsb, a 166 / 333 and there is a 200 / 400 barton. You need to know which one you have and set it correctly.

BTW many boards come with a jumper set to allow a 100 fsb. This is so the system will boot with a duron chip installed. You MAY need to move a jumper on the board and it will then auto detect your cpu. Check your manual.

crjdriver

BTW just because you were able to OC with your msi board, I would not expect much [if any] OC from an ecs board. ECS is one of the lower quality mfg.

It has been my experience that with ecs, you might get a good board and it will run fine for years. You can also get a problem prone one as well. Their [ecs] quality control is somewhat lacking.

crjdriver

There was an early version with a 133 fsb and a higher multi; and the more common one is the 333 with with the 2.08 clock speed. There is also a barton core 2600, however it is a 166 / 333 instead of the 200 fsb I thought it had. It also has a lower clock speed of 1.91 to reflect the additional cache of the barton core.

crjdriver

I found the older model 2600 part number. It is AXDA2600DKV3C this is the one with the 133/266 fsb and the higher multi.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts