1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] New MotherBoard won't work!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigTex, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey guys, I just bought a new motherboard: Albatron KX600Pro, I added it to my exisiting case: 320 Watts, 115v, XP Pro, AMP XP 1600.

When I turn the computer on it beeps on time and the it crashes?
    What is going on?

2. n2gun

n2gun

are you getting any video before it crashes?

Did you check the clear cmos jumper? It should be on pins 1 and 2. If it is on 2 and 3, there are no bios settings for it to use and it will not boot.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it Windows that crashes? If so thats common - XP doesn't like to be moved to a new motherboard - a clean install of XP is the best solution.

If not that, we'll need more info on whats happening.

4. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

It won't allow me to get into BIOS setup. When it boots up, I'll constantly hit delete, it'll beep once, then shut down!

5. n2gun

n2gun

Did you check the cmos jumper on the motherboard. They ship a lot of them in the clear cmos position. This is to extend battery life. Should be on pins 1 and 2

6. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

It's on the right jumpers!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, you may have to strip down the computer to the bare minimum. Pull the mobo out of the case and set it up on an antistatic surface. Attach only the CPU with fan, 1 stick of RAM and a video card and of course the powersupply.

With this setup see if you can get into the BIOS - usually the DEL or F2 key - also see if it still keeps restarting.

The CLR CMOS was a great idea and the most common reason for such a problem, no need for the "!"

8. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey Triple6, I didn't mean anything with the "!", it's just part of my lanuage. I apologize.

I did what you said, I took out the motherboard, I left in 1 stick of memory, powersupply and cpu. And it's not doing anything at all. No deeps, no lights, no nothings. So does this mean that the power supply is going out? Or what is it?

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

So no fans were spinning? Confirm proper installation of CPU.

Remember, when testing with JUST the CPU & memory (It should still power up with NO memory and videocard) - that there is no power to the Drives and the IDE/floppy cables are disconnected from the motherboard.

10. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

When I pulled it out of the case, only the video card, cpu, memory card, and power supply was attached and nothing happened.

But when it was in the case with everything attached, all the fans starts running, it boots up, beeps once and then shuts down?

And I don't know what else to do.

11. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Oh, and there are no beeps codes in the manual or on the web-site.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How are your turning on the mb? Are you flashing the power switch pins on the board? Note some boards will shut down if they do not detect a fan on fan header 1. Are you sure the hsf is installed correctly?

13. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

crjdriver, I'm hitting the power switch on the front of the computer. How do I flash the power switch pins on the board? And please forgive my stupidity, but what is "hsf"?

14. pronute

pronute

HSF heat sink fan and it has to be plugged into the CPU fan header some motherboards have to sense the CPU fan in order to boot.

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

Again... PULL the video card. Leave it in the case.

Just the CPU with its HSF attached and plugged in (so it spins), 1 stick of RAM and the power cables from the power supply.

Nothing else.... no drive cables and no power to any drives.

No video card.

See if it stays powered up.... if not still, pull the memory too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice