1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New NetGear router problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MelissaMom, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MelissaMom

MelissaMom Thread Starter

I'm new here and need help. I've spent probably six hours with various tech support people over the last 24 hours and am frustrated.

Bought and installed a new Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR 3400. Modem is actually an ActionTec Gateway GT701 which I have made a bridge to the router (also recently updated firmware too). I can get online wirelessly with several computers and the ethernet connection on the XP works fine too. The MAIN problem is that my wireless signal isn't any stronger than before on the old ActionTec.

One of the reasons we got this is because the wireless signal didn't reach to the master bedroom (using iPad or iTouch). Now it will sometimes show one bar, but is quick to drop it.

I'm so frustrated and don't know what else to try. The router is placed up high in the office and does have to go through a block wall. But I read lots of reviews where the Netgear boasts strong and far reaching signals.

Anything else I can do? Thanks for your help.

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

Being a ham radio operator I can tell you if the signal is effectively blocked then there may not much you can do about it as far as trying a new router to increase signal strength etc.

You may need to have someone run a Cat6 cable from your wired router to another part of the house where you can position a wireless access point to give the needed coverage.

Some also use power line extenders to do the same but I prefer running the needed cable and then the problem is solved. Power line extenders use the house wiring as a sort of network cable. Note such devices MUST be plugged directly into a wall outlet to work best and not into and extension cord or power strip.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...0036RFGKS/ref=pd_ts_e_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

3. MelissaMom

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

A wireless access point is different than a router in that it is only used for wireless access transmit/receive to wireless devices on your network.

If you could run a Cat6 cable from your existing router (usually there are 4-8 ports that look like large phone jacks) to a wireless access point closer to the bedroon you could then use that new wireless access point near or even in the bedroom.

Like I said the power line extenders in the link provided may also work for that. Place one near your existing router and one in the bedroom or a room near it. Connect a Cat 6 network patch cable (they have RJ45 connections on each end that look like large phone connectors) from one power line extender LAN port to a LAN port on your router and then another from the power line extender LAN port in a bedroom to a new wireless access point. You could configure that new wireless access point with the same SSID/network name and security type/key as your existing wireless router so that you can move around your house and not have to change wireless networks.

Yes you may want to hire someone to do it. Geek Squad for example has holiday specials right now that should not cost you much to set all that up.

5. MelissaMom

Thank you SO much for all your helpful information. checking into Geek Squad now....my sanity is worth something : )

6. MelissaMom

Just wanted to let you know my update...went to best buy tonight and bought the netgear wireless extender. There's no cable or software needed and within 5 minutes my formerly dead zone room had the best wifi coverage. Now my iPad or any other wireless device is good everywhere. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction:D

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

Sweet! Thanks for the update.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice