1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Network question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CarrollM, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

M y son bought a laptop recently and it gave me the thought of getting one too. My wife and I are going on 86 and I do spend a lot of time on my computer in my computer room away from her in the living room. I am going to set up a network and buy a laptop so I can do my thing in the living room. Also there are many things I like to show her on the computer but it is not comfortable for two of us in front of the computer in my computer room. I have Xp on the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop and its all the home computer I need. One of my hopes is that I can send some of the videos I record with my Dell 8400 to the laptop which will have Vista Home Premium. My desktop has Media Center 2005 and the Laptops have Media Center but I wonder if they are compatible. I know I can expect answers on Techguy but I am curious about this although its not critical that I can do this but it would be nice. Any suggestions on a router. Many thanks for all the help in the past.

CarrollM

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Media that plays on XP with Media Center 2005 is compatible with the Vista. If you have Vista Home Premium (the most common version with brand name laptops), it will also have media center features.

As far as a router, how far is the location of the modem from where you'd like to use the wireless laptop? In todays environment, I normally recommend an 802.11n model, since they have longer range and are compatible with 802.11b/g protocols as well.

Here's a pretty good deal on one for $65: http://dealnews.com/Netgear-WNR854-...-Router-for-65-free-shipping-more/220423.html

3. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the quick answer. Normally I will be about 35 feet away but a better router as you suggested would help since there are a few walls in between. I looked at the Office Max rebate and it seems to say only for March 28-29th Am I misreading it. Sounds like what I need though as from what I read the "n" series is what you want.

CarrollM

4. JohnWill

You're right, the rebate was expired, it was listed in the current bargains, obviously a mistake. In any case, you can watch the bargain sites, routers come along pretty regularly. I'm running a pair of 802.11n routers, a ZyXEL and a D-Link that I got for $30 & $35 after rebate, so they are available.

Deal News

Tech Bargains

More Stuff 4 Less

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Around here (Dayton, Oh area) the best bets are Best Buy, Staples and several Office Supply stores so I will be watching them for sales. I did not buy the laptop yet as I decided to set up the network first, then I will look for sales on a laptop, and they are getting better all the time. I dont' want to have too much to set up all at once. Thanks again for your help. Even when I do not have a problem or need an answer it is very interesting reading about problems others are having and thereby learning what to do if I get the same problem. Thanks for you help and for having such a site.

CarrollM

7. JohnWill

I'm sure we'll be able to get you connected, just let us know. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice