1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New OS, Old Board...Sleep !ssues!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by janlafata, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I just got through putting together a secondary machine in another room that I have networked with my main system. Eventually when I get through setting everything up, it's going to go into the living room where I will use it as a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) and occasionally browse Hulu with.

The board is an older ASUS. The K8V-MX, and it has that nice tightness that I like in ASUS boards. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on it and using the Hauppage 1150 TV Tuner to capture my cable signal, plus I run a decent GeForce AGP video card and am using a Western Digital 1TB SATA drive and 2 GB's of RAM.

Everything is running great except I cannot get it to go into sleep mode. Hibernate is another issue altogether as sometimes I see the option and sometimes I don't, but even when I did have it, it did not work right either.. When I say it won't go into sleep, what I mean is, the screen will go blank and I will hear the hard drive wind down some like it's going to completely shutdown, but then it will rev back up and the desktop will come up again.

I have tried many things to fix this including clearing the CMOS, making sure the BIOS was current, checking to make sure the network adapter or other devices are not waking up the computer, swapping video cards and on and on. I've even tinkered quite a bit with the W7 Power Management options some but that didn't help. The latest thing I've done is to run what someone called a hidden Windows tool in the command prompt. It's powercfg -ENERGY. It will do a 60 second diagnostic on the sleep option and any problems that it sees and then post the results in an HTML file. More on this can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5260396/hidden-windows-7-tool-troubleshoots-sleep-mode-problems

So I ran it and to say the least, I'm overwhelmed with the suggestions and errors and things the report pointed out that may be causing my machine not to go to sleep. So, on that note, I've posted the results below. It's a little too advanced for me but maybe someone else can make sense of it and find a solution or two that I haven't tried.

Thanks in advance
    Jan LaFata

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
    Computer Name PVRSYSTEM-PC
    Scan Time 2011-11-23T13:55:06Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Product Name System Product Name
    BIOS Date 11/03/2006
    BIOS Version 0401
    OS Build 7600
    Platform Role PlatformRoleDesktop
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 32
    Thread Count 452
    Report GUID {3367772f-d4f1-41b8-bd91-af2dc933befd}

Analysis Results
    Errors
    Power Policy:Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)
    The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
    The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
    Power Policy:Disk idle is disabled (Plugged In)
    The disk is not configured to turn off after a period of disk inactivity.
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
    The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3038
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 16, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_1106&PID_3038
    Port Path

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Composite Device
    Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C52F
    Port Path 1

Device Name USB Composite Device
    Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B
    Port Path 2

CPU Utilization:processor utilization is high
    The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 6.01

Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Performance States Disabled
    Processor performance states have been automatically disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
    Warnings
    Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
    The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
    CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name svchost.exe
    PID 2916
    Average Utilization (%) 2.08
    Module Average Module Utilization (%)
    \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{C9D57270-B1E5-4386-830A-A9AA96E54E1C}\mpengine.dll 1.49
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.27
    \Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll 0.12

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Name sppsvc.exe
    PID 2872
    Average Utilization (%) 1.24
    \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\spsys.sys 0.60
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.35
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\sppsvc.exe 0.21

Process Name iexplore.exe
    PID 2328
    Average Utilization (%) 1.21
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll 0.59
    \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys 0.17
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript.dll 0.13

Process Name svchost.exe
    PID 852
    Average Utilization (%) 0.25
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.11
    \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.03
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys 0.01

Process Name System
    PID 4
    Average Utilization (%) 0.24
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.19
    \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\cng.sys 0.01
    \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ataport.SYS 0.00

Information
    Platform Timer Resolution:platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156250

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
    The current power plan in use
    Plan Name OEM Balanced
    Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
    The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
    Personality Balanced

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
    Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
    Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Battery:Analysis Success
    Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
    Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
    Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
    S1 Sleep Supported false
    S2 Sleep Supported false
    S3 Sleep Supported true
    S4 Sleep Supported true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities
    Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
    Group 0
    Index 0
    Idle (C) State Count 1
    Performance (P) State Count 0
    Throttle (T) State Count 0

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Most of that wont affect the standby mode.
    It looks like you may have a USB device connected that is not
    going into suspend mode during standby.
    Check the USB wake settings in the bios.
    If you are waking the computer with a remote,that should be enabled.
    If that is enabled,a USB mouse or keyboard may also wake the computer.
    You will need to check the options of the devices in device manager and
    set the different device proprties to either wake or not wake the computer
    depending on which devices you want to do that.
    Double check advanced power options in control panel.
    Try changing the sleep mode in the bios.
    S3 or S4 and see if it helps.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Most problems with sleep and hibernation have to do with drivers. They need to be designed to be able to recover from the sleep or hibernation mode and still function, so if a driver fails in being suspened or in being awakened, you'll have problems.

The major drivers, like graphics, are usually involved. Network card drivers next. Just make sure that they are recent versions and that they are all certified for the OS. Get all the Windows Updates, too, since USB drivers were among the updates in the last few months (including third-party drivers).

4. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Just wanted to let you know that I solved the sleep issue on W7 and it was related to the power management settings in certain devices, specifically the keyboard. Now having said that...The way it's always been lucky enough to work for me and on most of my motherboards is I had every device that had a power management setting turned off except one...the keyboard. reason being so that I could just tap on the spacebar when I wanted to resume Windows. That setup worked fine in my last board, an MSI, but for whatever reason, it did not work in the ASUS (Probably a BIOS thing).

So what I finally ended up doing to make it work, was I also unchecked "Allow this device to wake up...." on the keyboard too. After I did that when I clicked on sleep, everything worked fine. The hard drive powered down and the whole bit. I was then quickly worried about what's going to wake it up, but I just hit the power button again...Problem Solved.

I should mention that what started all this focus on making sleep work was that, as I mentioned, I'm going to be setting this up as a PVR through Windows Media Center. While I as yet do not know if Media Center will wake up my computer from complete shutdown or sleep when I have scheduled a recording, at least I know if it has something to do with the sleep option, I'm covered because it is working right.

Thanks again for your assistance
    Jan LaFata

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice