1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New PC fans spin for a second, video card light on, but won't boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ethaile, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

I am in the process of building a PC for the first time and, after doing a breadboard and putting all my components into my case I tried to turn on my PC. However, while a green light on the video card comes on and the fans spin for maybe a second, the fans just stop and nothing further happens, only the green light on the video card stays on. I have tried seaching for the similar problems but haven't found any advice that has helped. At this point the only thing I can think of is that my power supply is too low, even though I have the minimum recommended wattage my video card calls for. Does anyone have an idea as to what it might be?

Specs:
    PSU: Corsair CX 500
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read and followed the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds? If you follow ALL of the steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next the first thing I see that just jumps off the page at me is the pw supply you installed. The cx line from corsair is NOT designed for any type of gaming or other stressful endeavor; it is for a basic build ONLY ie onboard video, doing email, etc. Even corsair says it is for a basic build;
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/cx-series

The gigabyte site seems to be down at the moment so I cannot check cpu support for that mb. The 6300 should be supported however it never hurts to check.

Next you post this
    Did the board POST out of the case? If not, then why would you install it in the case? If it did successfully post, then that points at an incorrect placement of a standoff in the case.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's where you made one mistake - focusing on minimum wattage requirements.

That ASUS video card is a dual-width dual-fan model and is power-hungry.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

crjdriver
    Yes, the build posted and I followed the guide in the hw section, but my build still has the same problem. Given what you and flavallee said, I am going to buy a better psu and see if that does the trick. Thanks for the help.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if it posted out of the case and not in the case, you installed a standoff incorrectly. This VERY often causes a short and fries the mb [just depends on where the short occurs]
    Before you purchase a different pw supply, pull it out of the case and again do the out of case build. If it works, you are lucky. If it does not work, then you will most likely need a new board as well.

6. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

So I just did an out of case build with the video card, memory, cpu, and hard drive all attached to the motherboard and it still posted. From what I can tell I have installed the standoffs correctly, as i filled every screw hole that would fit in the case and the motherboard instruction manual does not specify that certain holes should be left open. Is there a way to tell if I have a standoff installed incorrectly? Also I am thinking of buying the FSP Group 650 Watt Power Supply 80 Plus Silver (Raider S650) power supply. That should meet my power needs correct?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Absolutely incorrect. Here is how to properly install a mb in a case.

1 First remove the IO plate
    2 Set the board in the case and mark each spot where a standoff needs to be installed. Install standoff ONLY where there is a mounting hole in the board.
    3 Remove the board and install standoffs in marked spots ONLY
    4 Install the IO plate.
    5 Place mb on standoffs and slide into the IO plate. Secure with screws provided with the case.

Done

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW the case tray will have more holes than you have mounting holes in the board. This is because the case will accommodate an atx board, a micro atx board and [sometimes] an itx type board.

9. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

Sorry it seems i phrased that incorrectly. The case has many holes to fit standoffs in. But, I only put standoffs in the 6 holes that lined up with the screw holes in the motherboard. Also, from what I can tell the motherboard is not touching the case or anything that looks like it could cause a short.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if it posts out of the case and not in the case, then it can only be one thing; your install of the board. Either there is a standoff in the wrong place or the board is shorting somewhere else.There really is no other explanation. The only other variable would be the case leads not connected correctly. This can be eliminated by touching the pw switch pins the same way you did when you did the out of case build.

11. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

Ok I will try to touch the pw switch pins with the build inside the case and see if that works

12. closetvibes

closetvibes

i gather you mean 7 not 6 standoffs , this board also requires a bios update to run amd fx cpu's

13. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

So I just tried the test inside the case and it posted fine when i touched a screwdriver to the power pins. I did not have the hard drive, the disk drive, or any of the case cables plugged in though

14. Ethaile

Ethaile Thread Starter

and closetvibes the 7th screw hole in the motherboard does not have a slot for a standoff in the rosewill challenger case I am using

15. closetvibes

closetvibes

out of curiosity what one doesnt line up -- have you got a 6 to 8 pin adaptor for your video card , its probably not supplying enough power to the card

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice