1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NEW PC Running So Slow!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysou, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

Bought it with grt package. Claims it has a genuine Windows7 ultimate. Hard to believe. Why would someone put such a expensive OS in this machine. It has a Amd athlon(tm) 1.09ghz.. Is this the reasons why it's so slow? or? I have a full snip of everything from cpu-z. Please help me see why it's slow? I can't seem to trace anything that can cause it to be so slow.

Attached Files:

2. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

2 more pics..

Attached Files:

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your screenshots, that "new" computer has the following:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit operating system

Micro Star International(MSI) MS-6570 motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 1.09 GHz processor

2 GB DDR PC3200 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4600 1 GB graphics

------------------------------------------------------

Besides the fact that the "Ultimate" version of Windows 7 contains the most enhancements and add-ons of any other Windows 7 version, the slow processor and type of RAM are several years old in technology.

We don't know what's installed and running in that computer, but that is likely also adding to the slowness.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, that motherboard has 3 DDR slots and supports a maximum of 3 GB of DDR PC3200(DDR400) RAM.

So you do have the option of adding another 1 GB of RAM, but it's still bottlenecked by that old, slow processor.

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The machine is very old, but the CPU is also incorrectly setup; there's no such thing as an Athlon XP that runs at 1.09Ghz. Barton core Athlon XP processors had an effective FSB of 266Mhz, 333Mhz or 400Mhz, but none had an effective FSB of 200Mhz. So if your Athlon XP has a multiplier of 11 then that has to make it either an Athlon XP 2500+(1.83Ghz) with a 333Mhz(166x2) FSB or an Ahtlon XP 3200+(2.2Ghz) with a FSB of 400Mhz(200x2) - and nearly all Athlon XP 2500+ processors overclocked to the 3200+.

It'll still be an old system designed for Windows XP though and not meant to run Windows 7.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    tonysou:

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information.

When the "System Information" window appears, highlight System Summary in the left pane.

What's listed in the "Processor" line in the right pane?

You may need to widen the column to see the entire description.

------------------------------------------------

Triple6:

Thanks for jumping in.

-----------------------------------------------

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I was going to add for future reference most brand new computers come with either windows 7 home premium or windows 7 professional. Ive never heard of one with windows 7 ultimate preinstalled.If you cant get it to run right on windows 7 and it sounds like it shouldnt be attempted hopefully you can reinstall windows xp on it and that theres drivers available for it if thats what it came with originally.

8. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

tY GUYS FOR INCITE.. i AGREE WITH EVERYONE. I feel like a SOOP UP 4cylinder with a lot restrictions! Anyways What can I do for ssolution? It was a beautiful case and 600watt power supply. Can I just change the processor? Help me pls... Many incite or advice is much appreciated. :)

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I knew it wasn't a "new" computer when the screenshots showed it has DDR PC3200 modules.

The newer technology is DDR2 and DDR3.

Answer the question in post #6.

10. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

Can I just change the cpu chip?

Attached Files:

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the screenshot.

I'll leave you with Triple6.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could replace the processor but you'd need to replace the motherboard and RAM too and then reinstall Windows.

You can make it run faster by correct the FSB in the BIOS but you'll still have a 6-7 year old computer.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh and if its genuine copy of Windows then it must have included a legal and original copy of the Windows 7 license(COA) and preferably a Windows DVD as well. If you didn't get an original license with the PC then its not legit.

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/faq

14. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

lets just prettend its your pc Triple6.. I know other then using it as a book shelf. Jokes aside. If u had 100 bucks to make this pc a little better, What would u do? Or even 150-200 bucks max.. I don't wanna do too much.. Excluding OS.. If I change the processor I have to re install windows right? Also how can I correct the FSB again? And what's it stands for?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd save it for a modern system, which this is not. I've bought two used laptops for $250 several times better and you can pick up desktops for for the same amount that will put that system to shame. I wouldn't put any money it.

There's no point in changing the CPU you either have the fastest CPu for the motherboard or one that's nearly the fastest and that overclock to the fastest model with ease in most cases.

Go into the the BIOS and change to the Front Side Bus(FSB) from 100Mhz to 200Mhz, its a free upgrade to performance as currently the PCU is running at about half its designed speed.

FYI, a processor upgrade does not require a reinstall, a motherboard upgrade should warrant a reinstall though or may be absolutely required.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice