Solved: New PSU Connections--Do I Use Them?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ad3n

I'm installing an OCZ 520W Powerstream right now and it's got a bit more new cords coming out of it than my last one.

Here's the other specs:
- ASUS A7V600 motherboard
- 2x 160GB Western Digital HDDs
- 1 gig of RAM
- LG 16x Dual-Layer DVD+/-R/RW
- ATI Radeon X800XL
- Athlon XP 3000+
- 7 fans of varying sizes
- And I don't know the brands of the sound and network cards

Alright, so the connectors that I'm puzzled by are:

1) It has VGA/HDD on the plug. Instructions are as follows: Connect the VGA & HDD Enhance Power Lead to VGA and HDD housing. I have no idea where those are, or even if I have anywhere for them to go.

2) There are two plugs with light blue housings that would be connected into a 4-pin connecter in a squared pattern, rather than 4-pins beside one another in a row. My last PSU had one of these, but it wasn't plugged in anywhere--but it was someone else who did it, and with newer hardware since then, I want to make sure. It says to connect it into the motherboard, but I'd have no idea of where it would go. Here's a large picture of my motherboard

3) Finally, I have two SATA plugs. As you can see in this picture I have two Serial ATA ports on the motherboard, but I'm unsure if that is the proper placement for them or if they would just be directly into other devices.

Any help would be awesome. And I don't want to risk powering this thing up before I know about these confusions, so I hope there are answers quick :)

pugmug

Banned
Also, any extra connectors from your PSU just tie them with plastic ties out of the way for better air flow as I do not see you needing all the PSU rails to power your motherboard.

ad3n

So those 4-pin ones are ATX12V connectors that I need to hook in somewhere, but the only thing it shows in the diagram is where the ATXPWR goes (Page 44 of that pdf). I know this has to be important, because it says: "Do not forget to connect the 4-pin ATX +12V power plug. Otherwise, the system does not boot up."

The SATA ones I'll be putting off to the side, since I don't have an SATA HDD or anything that requires it.

But I'm still confused about the VGA/HDD plugs that are there. Might they go into the video card?

Even though this is the 600, it's got the same connectors Would I use the dedicated VGA/HDD connectors to go into the HDDs instead of the 4-pin molexs? And also, where would I put that PCI-E connector "which is suppose to stabilize the current, and help to maintain optimal signal integrity to your monitor and hard drive" ? Sound like a good thing to look into, hence why I'm asking.

pugmug

Banned
Go to page 18 and 19 of the pdf file,tells you everything you should need.

pugmug

Banned
As far as your vga/hdd connectors go,yes connect it on rail to the vga card alone and the other 4 pin in a row molex connectors to your hard drives cd roms ect.Leave the vid card on a rail by itself.

On an Athlon XP system you won't need the 4 pin ATX plug either. That is for Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 boards.

ad3n

So I use one of the VGA/HDD connectors from the PSU solely for the video card? Why is it bad to have the HDD and video card on the same line? The X800XL came with a molex that goes from it to the PSU to the HDD, should I just scrap that and just use the VGA/HDD Connector?

Also, in the motherboard diagram on page 19, it shows that for the ATX12V to hook in, it connects to a white piece (designated as number 1), but it's not on my motherboard. There is something in that location, but it's thin and black, rather than a squared piece of white plastic [EDIT: I guess this was answered above, but we posted quite soon together.]

And why doesn't the video need the PCI-E hookup?

Sorry if it seems like I'm dragging this out, but with so much new stuff going into it, I really want to make sure the power is properly distributed and nothing messes up.

pugmug

Banned
I am not giving you a hard time as you are new to setting up computers but you need to slow down,read the links and advice given to you about your equipment and go from there to get the best preformance out of your computer.As far as your vid card goes it is best to connect it alone to PSU to get the best preformance out of yours or any vid card-trust me.

If you have the molex to spare, put the video card on it's own line. It is the best thing to do. That way the video card isn't sharing power with other components.;)

ad3n

pugmug said:
I am not giving you a hard time as you are new to setting up computers but you need to slow down,read the links and advice given to you about your equipment and go from there to get the best preformance out of your computer.
Sorry about that, I was virtually on my way out the door for a class. And yes, as you've easily observed, I'm new with these hookups, so I try to ensure that I read everything given to me in the proper way. I'd hate to take it as one thing when there's slight differences or something that ultimately creates many problems. So please bear with me, and I greatly apppreciate everything in this topic already.

The link you posted for the X800XL was for a the PCI Express version, whereas I purchased the AGP card. I can see that it says it's sufficient to leave the PCI-E plug out of the former one, but does that also hold true for mine. Logically, I would guess that it wouldn't even have a place with the video card considering it is AGP, but you never know.

The VGA/HDD Enhance Power Lead I was talking about coming from the PSU has a sole molex connecter on it (There's two of these lines though). Are they basically the same thing as a regular molex chain, minus the fact that there's only one hookup? Again, I could guess, but I'd rather take the safe bet and question it.

And as for the ATX12V connectors, the manual (although not very well done) basically puts P4 and Athlon (it doesn't differentiate between XP and 64) mainboards on the same road on the matter of requiring this connection. So can you truly confirm that by having an Athlon on the mobo that I wouldn't require the ATX12V?

pugmug

Banned
I understand you and here are your answers.As you say your vid card is AGP so there is not a PCI-E plug on it so just tie that lead back out of the way.Your psu came ready for most any connections and as you say it has 2 sole molex connectors 1 each they are for an SLI motherboard that can run 2 vid cards at the same time,use 1 for your vid card if needed and tie the other back out of the way.Last you do not need the ATX12V connector on your mobo so tie it up also.Your PSU came ready for any mobo but you do not need all those connections so get them out of the way and enjoy your computer.Best of luck to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online