Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

(Solved) New Ram modules not working

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Davey7549 
#1 ·
I have a Micron Millennia GS 933. Bus is 133. I am having a hard time adding 256 SDRAM. I have 3 slots. I have 2 256 and 1 68(68 came with puter). I have put 4 different 256 SDRAM pc 133 in. None have worked. I need a 168 pin, PC 133, VC SDRAM, Non-ECC(64 bit) 3.3V with total max of 768. I can't change the position they are in, or one doesn't show up. I have the Micron 68 in the middle. Should I assume that the only ram stick compatible would be another Micron stick? I have tired kingston, pny, other known brands. My computer is past 3 years old. I am trying to beef it up. I have a radeon 8500 graphics card, I play games and would love the extra ram.

Next question. Is it common for a DVD ROM disk drive to burn out after 3 1/2 years? Mine started to run loud and is now heating up. Been using the other(non-DVD) disk drive for games.

What is the life expectency of a computer? I also have one fan that is starting to rattle when I first turn the computer on. Should I start saving for a new one and stop spending money on this one? Thanks

#2 ·
Ewaky
You may have incompatable RAM. Have a look at the Important notes on this Crucial Webpage.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...&cat=RAM&model=Millennia+MAX+GS+933&submit=Go

Also having a CD Drive of any sort dying out after three years would not be unusual but it all depends on its enviroment and usage.

Lastly if you can find compatable RAM and the Tower supports your needs why upgrade when you can replace a few items and you are good to go!

Dave

#3 ·
Thanks! I checked out the link, price is better than I thought it would be. Micron Main page wanted $89.99 for it. Thanks also for not pointing out that I referred to a 68 stick when it was a 64. Duh on me. I'm headed to Fry's tonight, will check out DVD's and a fan. Then I'll see about the total cost. I play strategy games, so I sometimes(cough cough) have been known to play for hours. Thanks again. :)

#5 ·
For some inexplicable reason, some motherboards use low-density RAM. An old motherboard, the MSI K7 Pro, used low density SDRAM. The computer with this board came with 128MB of SDRAM in one stick. It had eight memory thingies on each side. High-density RAM has only eight memory thingies on one side (for 128MB). Tech support said they don't sell low-density RAM that often anymore, but you can requisition it from a RAM-manufacturing company. And also, a teacher in our school wanted a PC in his room, so he got an old Micron. It rattles a lot too, but you can probably just get a new case fan for ten bucks.

#6 ·
General Troubleshooting Guidelines
Make sure that you are working in a static safe environment. Remove any plastic bags or papers from your work space, and make sure to keep your computer plugged in but with the power turned off. Keeping your PC plugged in will keep the case grounded, thus reducing the chance of damaging the module or system. Touch an unpainted metal part of your case before touching your new modules or any other components in your system.

Remove and reinstall the modules to make sure that they are seated securely in the socket.

Make sure that your new memory is the same type as your old memory (i.e. FPM/EDO/SDRAM, parity/non-parity/ECC, buffered/unbuffered). Using EDO or SDRAM in a system that does not support it will not work, often resulting in a blank screen and no POST (power on self test), or a BIOS/CMOS setup error.

Fill your slots starting with the largest density and working to the smallest (put the largest module in slot 0, and the second largest in slot 1, and so on). Some systems go in reverse order, so if this doesn't work, try reversing the procedure.

If your DIMM module will not fit in the slot it is because you have an incompatible module. The two notches on a DIMM module are moved for 3.3V vs. 5V and for Buffered vs. Unbuffered.
If your system won't boot up with only the original modules in it, check all of your connections inside your PC. It is easy to bump a cable and pull it out of its connector, disabling your hard drive or CD ROM.

If you are using MS DOS version 6.22 or earlier and are getting memory errors, consider running Memmaker to reconfigure your memory settings.

If you get a memory mismatch error follow the prompts to enter setup, then select save and exit. (This is not an error - some systems must do this to update their CMOS settings.)
If your system is only reading half of the new module's memory, and the module has chips on both sides, then your system probably will only recognize single-banked or single-sided modules. Please return the memory and request single-sided modules with the same density.

#7 ·
OK! I ordered the Crucial stick of ram. Will let you know next week if all goes well. I also checked out the cost of DVD replacement and they are not bad, about $60. Will have to wait on that, if I wait long enough maybe the rewritables will come down in price. Thanks for all the help. :)

#9 ·
Ewaky
Yes you should contact Crucial tech support. As mentioned in the important section of the link:

From weblink:
"If your system shipped with Virtual Channel (VC) memory please contact Micron PC or our technical support team for information regarding upgrades for your system. If your invoice states you have a "Millennia MAX GS 133" just select the system that has the number that matches your processor speed.Example: You have a Millennial MAX GS 133 with a Pentium III 650MHz, you would then select the Millennia MAX GS 650."

It is possible yours has the VC memory which it states you need to talk to Tech support.

Let us know what Crucial says.

Take care
Dave

#10 ·
Originally posted by Ewaky:
OK! I ordered the Crucial stick of ram. Will let you know next week if all goes well. I also checked out the cost of DVD replacement and they are not bad, about $60. Will have to wait on that, if I wait long enough maybe the rewritables will come down in price. Thanks for all the help. :)
I suggest a visit to Pricewatch, I see the following drive for $31 shipped to your door.

Creative 8xi DVD 40 x CD-ROM Internal EIDE DVD Drive Bulk Pack

#11 ·
It is possible yours has the VC memory which it states you need to talk to Tech support.
No, it came with 2 64's. I've put in 2 sdram of 256 and have the 64 also in. I think it goes back to another post on low and high density. Mine is low density. I thought that crucial would know that when I put the order in, but who knows. Couldn't call them today, will try tomorrow. Thanks

#12 ·
Well, the 256 does work from Crucial. Unforuntnately, I'm still in the same spot. I has 2 sdrams of 256 and 1 of 64MB. Now I have 3 256MB and 2 64 MB. Any of the of the 256's will work, but only if 1 64MB is placed in the middle slot. So it seems I'm stuck with 576, even if I should have 762. BUT the tech from crucial gave me some great advice about putting ram in. Never knew about seating.

Hello,

When the 256MB module is installed by itself will the computer boot? If the computer beeps when it is installed then it is a seating issue. I want you to take all the memory out of your system and install just the 256MB module. I want you to install the module one side at a time and you will need to push down with about 20 to 30 LBS of pressure. You need to make sure the clips on either side of the module snap up on their own. Do not help the white clips snap into the notch in the module. Don't worry too much about the power supply, it shoud be fine.

#13 ·
After nurmorous emails the Crucial Tech person resolved my problem. This is how he did it.

"Go to START/RUN/ and type in System.ini. Go to your system.ini and look for VCACHE. Manually type in

[VCACHE] **This should already be in the system.ini file.**
MinFileCache=51200
MaxFileCache=56320

Save, and then restart your computer. This should resolve the issue.
After this is set, you will need to re-install/set the video drivers again. "

Thanks for all the help and especially for the advice to buy from Crucial, they really stuck with me till the problem was resolved.

#14 ·
Ewaky
Glad all is well now!
I was afraid your unit had the VC Virtual Cache option and that is why you were having problems! I knew working with them to solve the problem was the best route since they know what requirements are needed for your VC and their RAM. Crucial is a very good company and everytime I have dealt with them they bend over backwards to help!
More Companies should follow Crucials lead!

Will consider this matter solved!

Take care

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.