1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New router issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by spuik, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spuik

spuik Thread Starter

I just changed my modem/router for a D-Link DKT-710 (going from 8mbps to 24mbps connection so I needed a adsl2+ modem). Some weird things have started happening. There are two computers connected, and they both have the same problems. Can't log in windows live messenger (not amsn or emesene either). Can't open gmail. Youtube works, but not properly (can't click all links and some vids don't load without refreshing).

I also tested the new speed at www.speedtest.net but the test didn't work. It tests download speed but gets stuck "preparing upload". Also on another subject, the download speed test result is low. Only 10-11mbps earlier and just a minute ago only 8mbps, on a supposed 24mbps. The router config page states this:
    Downstream Line Rate : 11281 kbps
    Upstream Line Rate : 1019 kbps

I took a screenshot of the config page but imageshack gets stuck at 100% uploading of the pic. What does the config base this 11281kbps on? Why isn't it 24mbps?

Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

2. oksteve

oksteve

1/ Might have a faulty modem
    2/ ISP has problems, try asking your service provider
    3/ Your modem and router are not configured correctly
    I read somewhere that there is a check box in the User interface of the router
    that needs to be checked when expecting a faster connection. The default may be the old setting.

3. spuik

spuik Thread Starter

The modem is configured for adsl2+ and annex A. The internet connection works fine (downloads, games, other websites) so I don't know what to ask my ISP.

4. spuik

spuik Thread Starter

I tried switching back to the old modemrouter and everything works fine again, except of course at a lower speed because of the different modulation mode. I can safely rule out browser cache problems and whatnot.

There's also a third computer connected in the network and I tested that one too. It runs Vista 32bit and everything worked well with the new modem. It's just the two XP Pro 64bit systems that have problems. The box says the modem is compatible with XP so I guess it's the 64bit part that's to blame. Or something else entirely. I tried looking for a driver for 64 bit versions but couldn't find one.

edit: one more clarification as to what doesn't work: ads by google. So for example this page opens up but keeps loading the google ads for a very long time and then finally printing an error message in place of the ad (can not connect or something like that).

5. spuik

spuik Thread Starter

Still trying to fix this. All computers are using a wired connection even though the router obviously has WLAN too. I tried different ports but the problem is there with any and all ports.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try resetting to factory defaults, and also turning off the SPI firewall in the router. See if either of those measures have an effect.

7. spuik

spuik Thread Starter

I resetted to defaults, didn't help. Switched off the firewall, didn't help. Switched the firewall back on, now it seems to be working like a charm... Go figure?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All's well that ends well. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice