1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Router Location, need help with Wireless Bridge and Switch?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TomatoSalad, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomatoSalad

TomatoSalad Thread Starter

Hello,
    Before I go on, you probably should know that my house layout is like an H. Previously had an (unsecured) static network set up. The dining room was in the upper left corner of the house, and my bedroom is in the lower left. The router covered most of the house, but my bedroom is next to the kitchen, lots of metal and stone, so I needed to set up a repeater/bridge. This allowed my iPod touch and MacBook to connect, and my Debian machine to use the LAN port on the back of the bridge so I could run my SSH/web server (hence the static IP). However, I've had to move the router/modem to the lower right, and I need to keep using the bridge, now with a switch in the LAN port with the Debian box and another Linux machine to work. I reset the router entirely, so I'm back on DHCP, which I'll change later. The problem lies in the repeater. It connects to my network (belkin54g) but assigns my iTouch the address 168.254.6.9, which I learned is a link-local address. The time I did get it working, I plugged in the switch and it went dead. How can I set up the bridge and switch to work together? What am I doing wrong? Might I need to do anything special afterwards to get static working properly?

Thanks!

PS The two Debian boxes have no GUI (Xorg), and ifconfig doesn't return anything, just another shell prompt.

2. TomatoSalad

I noticed my iPod connects, but not my MacBook, and when I plug in the switch, the whole network dies. Any suggestions?

3. TomatoSalad

Anybody please help? This is driving me insane! I've now noticed that any connected device to the LAN port screws it up, which is weird, because it worked perfectly until I moved the router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice