1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: new Seagate making very quiet noises

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Ive just built a £650 PC for my dad, I installed an SSD and Seagate 7200.12 SATA 3 HDD - Ive used it for a week at my house and its dead silent, ive drove it 350 miles up to scotland to give to my dad and we noticed a noise coming from it. it just seems to be fan noise but because of where it situated its reflecting off walls and audible - anyway, this was the readon I took the side off to check.. when I did I heard the Seagate making funny noises... its as if its in some sort of standby or self optimize mode... no defrag is running at all - it makes this whirr & click every 0.5 seconds and the pitch of the whirr varies slightly - ive ran seat tools and it has passed all tests and seems to operate fine.. but i never noticed it when it was in my house and now the case side is back on I can still just hear it.

can anybody explain what this noise is?

I hope its not broken from the travel up in boot of car...im annoyed about the noise from the system too, worked fine & silent at mine and now can hear fan and the hard-drive is doing its thing too..

thanks

2. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Usually that click is known as the "click of death." I have seen perfectly normal drives make clicking noises though. If the drive passes in Sea Tools (and I mean it passes EVERYTHING multiple times not just the short test) then it is probably fine. If you are backing up your data properly, it won't be scary anyway. The only other option is to call Seagate and see if they'll exchange it. They probably won't, but if it was my drive I'd at least try.

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah I know the 'click of death' noise...it aint that... im really down about this as ive already had problems with LAN not connecting to network properly, took 5 days to fix..now I do fix it and bring the PC to him it has 2 new problems...NOISES from hard-drive and system as whole reflecting - if take side of case you cant hear the system noise..its like a low sounding high pitched "oooooh" (daft description I know)

im joining seagate forums now

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

havn trouble signing up - typical

5. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

Don't you love technology sometimes? I'm glad it isn't the click of death, but any unexplained noises from a HDD always concern me.

6. Fractalogic

Fractalogic

I suggest you contact Seagate technical support and see what they say. You can start a chat session with them, don't have to join the forum. Or you can send them an email. They usually reply within the next business day.

Contact information for Europe:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea

Just click the Chat (English) link. It will take you to a form where you present your problem and who you are, after which you can join a chat session with a Seagate tech support person.

I would love to hear what your findings are, as I have had bad experience with Seagate internal disk drives in the past.

7. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

i will,when I unplug the HDD the system cant find the OS? and the OS is on the SSD? I have the primary order for drives as SSD first too? it is in AHCI mode also...

it gets stranger and stranger

8. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

I've seen this happen before when the windows install saves boot information on the wrong drive. I'm not quite sure how to fix it other than reinstall. I usually unplug any additional drives during install to avoid fun errors like this.

9. Fractalogic

Fractalogic

You have installed the OS on the SSD drive? And the Seagate HDD is only used as a storage drive?

Have you tried changing from AHCI mode to legacy Parallel mode?

10. Fractalogic

Fractalogic

Wow! I have never seen this behaviour that CompuClinic describes. That's really strange if that's what happened here. Very strange.

11. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

he is correct, ive checked and the 100Mb system partition win7 stores on drive is on that drive..damn!

windows repair does not work either (with HDD out)

there must be a way to do this without re-install?

12. Fractalogic

Fractalogic

If this is the case, you should be able to use an editor program for MBR. One such program is the freeware MBRtool.

Link to MBRtool: http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm

An MBR editor is actually aimed at editing the contents of a MBR. You don't want that. But you can easily use the same program to copy the entire MBR content with master partition table and master boot code.

What you do is you start the MBR editor and choose to view the MBR of your system volume C:\ and you simply select and copy that information to a file. There are usually options for this to make both selection and copy operation simple. Then you use the same program to load the MBR information and "paste" it and save to a different drive.

You will obviously not be able to use the same computer for loading the MBR information. This is because once you remove the HDD you won't be able to boot with only the SSD drive. Therefore, once you copy the MBR you will have to remove the SSD drive also, not only the HDD, and then plug it in to a working computer where you install the MBR editor and load the MBR information from the HDD that you copied earlier to a CD or USB drive and then paste it and save it to the SSD drive.

13. Fractalogic

Fractalogic

There is an easier way to copy MBR from one disk drive to another. You can simply make a disk image of the entire disk drive. Then, when you restore the disk image, you can choose to only recover the MBR track 0.

This at least works with Acronis True Image Home 2011. You just start True Image, choose to make a disk image of the SSD. The associated MBR (from the HDD) will automatically be copied to the image file. Then you remove the HDD from the computer. Just as described above, you will still need to connect the SSD to a working computer with True Image installed. There, you would load the disk image, and choose to restore only the MBR to the SSD. Then you take the SSD back to the original computer and it should boot right away, as if the HDD was still connected.

Using True Image Home 2011 you may even be able to use the same computer, with no need to disconnect the SSD and move it to a different computer for applying the MBR information. What you would do is simply boot the computer with SSD and HDD in it. When you're in Windows, you start True Image, take the disk image backup of the system disk. Then while still in Windows, you chose to recover a disk image, but you choose to only restore the MBR. Or you could optionally also recover the whole system volume.

What you would hope for here is that True Image would do right what Windows installer did wrong from the beginning, and simply apply the MBR information of the recorded disk image backup file to the correct disk drive, the SSD drive. Then you would power off the computer and disconnect the HDD drive, and power on the computer and see if it will boot.

14. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

all sounds a bit too messy having to use other computers, arent there any MBR fix programs? I used to use one but cant rem what it was called, I used to use it when installing multiple OS's

15. CompuClinicUT-JT

CompuClinicUT-JT

This is a royal pain. The first time it happened to me I was cursing Billy Gates for months. You can try the MBR fixes, but honestly if it is a new install anyway, it will be far easier to just reinstall. I've had this happen exactly twice and ever since then I disable all but the primary drive during an install just in case. I have no clue how or why it happens, I just know that windows can't write to drives that don't have power running to them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice