1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Setup Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prpldude, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

Let me lay out what I have and the situation first.

MB: Gigabyte GA-81915PL-G Rev 2.0 NEW
    CPU: Pentium 4 Processor 506 2.66 GHz Socket LGA 775 NEW
    Memory: 2 x 512 PNY DDR PC3200 400MHz NEW
    PSU: Antec 400watt PSU Smart Power 2.0 NEW
    HD: 80GB Western Digital Caviar Enhanced IDE (I think its Ultra ATA100)
    Video: Sapphire x300se 256MB PCI Express 16x NEW
    CD: piece of junk old (not even hooked up for this problem)

Here is my problem. When I tried to boot the system it recognizes memory and HD and then proceeds to start windows but it goes to the screen that asks if I want to start in safe mode. No matter what I select the computer restarts every time. I have tried 3 different HD's all work in other systems. I have installed the Memory in another system and it worked fine. What am I missing or where could the problem be?

Thanks In advance

2. GripS

GripS

This is a brand new hard drive with a clean install of windows?

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Could be the MOBO itself, if could be the power supply. What I would do is is take out everything except the hardrive and video card and try it. Then, if you have another video card try that. If you have another power supply try that. The problem is it is a process of elimination.

BTW--I assume you have successfully installed Windows on these different hard drives, and then you have this problem? Correct?

4. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

The hard drives are all from other systems with working intalls of windows.

I replaced the power supply because I thought that is where the problem would be. went from a 300watt to a 400watt.

I have had everything unhooked and get the same problem.

If I try and boot from XP CD then I get blue screen of death with this error
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C8163C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

5. bigbear

bigbear

It looks to like you have rebuilt your computer and you are trying to use your existing hard drive, correct?
    If this is correct that is your problem, you need to reinstall windows.

6. GripS

GripS

That's what i was getting at. Whenever you change a hardware configuration such as a motherboard and CPU you absolutely need to do a fresh install of windows.

7. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

I was going to try that but It won't let me. I installed a different HD to do the same thing and I get a similar error.
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7c4E640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

8. GripS

GripS

Are you using a retail version of windows? The restore disk that shipped with a pre-built system will load drivers for the system it was intended for.

This stop error is occurring with an IDE drive or SATA drive?

9. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

yes retail version.

Ide Drive

Thanks for all your help and quick responses.

10. GripS

GripS

Well we have quite an issue here. It is my understanding that the stop error you are getting could be the result of a boot sector virus on the hard drive OR the incorrect drivers are loaded for the hard drive at windows setup stage. Windows will go through setup. Then it will say restarting windows and BSOD with the stop error in question.

In an effort to make sure the disk is clean and healthy you would want to use the disk utility that came with the hard drive. If no such disk is available to you then you will need to use the computer you are using now to download the disk utility from the hard drive manufacturers website. These utilities can often be either booted off of a floppy or a CD-R.

Run the diagnostic to make sure the disk is healthy(no bad clusters). If the disk checks out ok then try doing a 'Zero fill'. This will write zero's to the entire drive eliminating all information and potential malware.

11. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

Ok I reformatted an old drive (that works fine in another machine. Windows is not installed on it at this time) I got the same stop error. I downoaded maxblast 4 and used that to repartition the HD. same error.

I downloaded powermax which is suppose to be run from a diskette while restarting windows and it says it cant run from dos mode. Which it isn't suppose to be doing anyway.

I'm thinking it has to be the motherboard or some bios setting ??????

I checked Microsoft's site and I get the same thing that GripS gets. That it is in the HD or motherboard settings.

any more suggestions?

Thanks again

12. frankjohn

frankjohn

this is a hardware issue, cpu>memory poss heat pblm

13. prpldude

prpldude Thread Starter

any suggestions how to or what to try?

HD has been set to zero's and passed all diagnostic tests.

If I underclock the CPU would this help any heating issues?

Memory has been tested in another system and seems to work fine.

but I have tried different memory and same issue.

I guess that brings it to the CPU or Mobo.

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

could start ,If heat related re thermal pasting cpu.Like Mulder stated [prosess of elimation]

15. brite750

brite750

make sure you have run through these basic diagnostic steps before you go on to installing os. do you even get a normal post when hdd is removed?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice