1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New To Broadband, Security Question

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by patmac, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to broadband ( converted from dial-up, remember it?) and would like to know what I need in the way of security. The installation came with an Actiontec MI424WR router. I have AVG Pro, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware and SP2 installed. I understand (am learing here) the router has a built-in firewall that offers some protection, as well as the Windows firewall in SP2. Are these plus the above apps a good start, or is more needed? Thanks for your time.
    patmac

2. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Bump! Or should this be moved?

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Pat:The other thing you might want to consider is a third party firewall,like zone alarm in place of windows f/w.
    The reason being is windows fw does not stop apps on your pc from sending traffic outbound.Windows fw stops inbound but not outbound.If you choose to go to a third party fw,disable windows fw.Multiple fw's running do not play nice with each other.
    I would also download AVG's anti spyware app.You can either get the paid version,or free version.I opted to pay for this,but you will be able to do either once you download and install the product.

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Would Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, and or Ad-Aware, interfere with AVG's spyware app? I'm not familiar with the finer points of all these apps. Are AVG's spyware and Spy-bot in the same family and Ad-aware is different? Thanks

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Pat:They do not interfere with each other,because,unless you get the paid version of AVG spyware,they do not run as active applications.And ,yes,they are looking for different types of spyware,malware.I think that somewhere either on this forum or on the security forum,one of the techs described what the differences were,but it was some time ago so,sorry,I don't remember the exact details.You can use the search function,start with spyware or malware and see what you get.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice