1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New to wireless need info

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mecury_2001, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mecury_2001

mecury_2001 Thread Starter

sorry if this is not posted in the right thread feel free to banish it :eek: :confused: okay the title just about says it all. I am new to wireless and will be traveling
    how do i connect via hot spots? i have signed up with my cell phone provider for internet access my laptop has express 54/34 slot. it also has 802.11a/b/g/n (draft 802.11n) WLAN & Bluetooth what are the steps to be taken to insure internet access? other than ATM fiber optic :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance to all those who chose to reply or even peruse this thread.

2. jmwills

jmwills

Does your software show any signal(s) available?

3. mecury_2001

Yes, I receive excellent signal strength via my dlink wireless router at home, have not tried connecting via my cell phone (because i am not sure how, :confused: and do not know if i need a pc card for my laptop) I am also paired with my pc and cell phone via bluetooth

Thanks for your response jmwills

4. jmwills

jmwills

Forget the cellphone as speed will be hopelessly slow. Does the laptop have a wireless card?

Control Panel>Network Connection> ....what is in there ?
    (The 1394 connection is your firewire connection so ignore that one).

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It depends on the cellphone service. Verizon has service that approaches 1mbit. However, it's a dedicated PC card for the laptop, not through the phone. Some phones have modem capability, but we'd have to know a lot more about the specific make/model, as well as the service provided.

6. mecury_2001

Hi sorry it took so long but work once again got in the way networking properties showed

broadcom4321AG802.11a/b/g/draft-n wi-fi adapter it also had a tab saying configure.?

also in device manager under network adapters it showed

1. bluetooth device (personal area network)
    2.bluetooth device (RFCOMM protocol TDI )
    3.broadcom4321AG802.11a/b/g/draft-n wi-fi adapter
    4.nvida nforce networking adapter

cell phone is nokia 6133

hope this helps and once again thanks to the both of you.!!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The wireless adapter in the machine will have no function when you're trying to use cell phone broadband. You'll have to find out if the Nokia 6133 offers a modem function and how you connect it to the computer.

8. mecury_2001

Thanks Johnwill & JMwills I really appreciate the response:)

Perhaps I should start from the begining here are my notebook specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01072398&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3446949&lang=en I will tell you what i do not know and mayhaps we can figure it out from there :D

I know what a hotspot is but how does one access it?
    i have a pc express card 54/34 slot do i need a card for that in order to access these hotspots? ( i have tried hp tech support but alas there are no answers forthcoming one week ago today)

I have a nokia 6133 cell t-mobile is my provider already signed up for internet services at $19.95 a month had to extend my contract for 1 year :mad: yada yada yada due to my ignorance on wireless.....okay im done ranting:eek: :D

not afraid to do the work....just need to be pointed in the right direction:p

Once again thanks for your time(y)

9. jmwills

jmwills

Think of a Hot spot as a radio station, if you are in range and your wireless card is turned on, it will connect (unitl you teach it otherwise). You should not need any authentication as most are free so the only thing you need to learn is how to manage the connections in WZC (Windows Zero Configuration).

10. mecury_2001

(y) Hey guy's went to a known hotspot today, and I had no problem (for today anyway) and was able to access the internet with no difficulty.I will marked this solved.

Thanks again Johnwill(y) and JMwills (y) i would be interested in finding out about WZC (Windows Zero Configuration). got any reasearch links?

About my "rant" i contacted my cell provider and explained my situation and was able to wiggle out of my $19.95 monthly contract. That one year extended service plan well i got to live with it.:rolleyes:

11. jmwills

jmwills

I posted a thread yesterday with that exact information. Glad to hear you got it going.

12. mecury_2001

Thanks JMwills (y)

If I dont have the knowledge I come here to get it, excellent reliable information at TSG!!

Mark

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice