1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New u.s.b hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guitarelf, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarelf

guitarelf Thread Starter

A recent experience that may be helpful to some.
    I purchased a 4port usb hub (Targus) recently. It comes with it's own power supply. I connected to it, an optical mouse & my broadband modem. What I didn't realise was that the modem, which previously booted with the laptop, remained powered-up as long as the hub was powered & this caused connection problems to broadband. I kept getting messages that the modem was "training", whilst also not seeing the familiar two green lights (power was on, but "link" just blinked!!). I solved the problem by disconnecting the modem from the hub & giving it back it's own, dedicated usb port. Now that the modem boots with the laptop & powers down with the laptop, connection probs & "training messages" have disappeared. I have mouse, printer & camera connected to the hub with no further problems.

Presario 2504 laptop/WinXP sp2/AOL9,Platinum 2mb
    Happy Days,
    Guitarelf. :D

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are many devices that don't like working through a USB hub, you've just discovered one more for the list. :)

3. guitarelf

guitarelf Thread Starter

This hub came with it's own power supply, but I've just noticed it powers up when I switch on the computer (the hub power supply is unplugged). Should I leave it unplugged, or does the hub still need a separate power supply for some arcane reason! At the moment the hub serves an optical mouse & a printer, both of which seem to be working just fine.
    Guitarelf. :)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I always use a P/S for a hub, but then I rarely use a hub. If you attempt to plug a device that draws more than minimal power from the hub, all the devices will probably quit working.

5. guitarelf

guitarelf Thread Starter

Thanks John, P/S it is.
    Guitarelf :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice