1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New user account in Vista doesn't log on

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by BRK03, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BRK03

BRK03 Thread Starter

I have created a new user profile in Vista. This is my third user profile on the same laptop. However, when I try to log on I get the: "The User Profile service failed the log on. User Profile cannot be loaded" error message.

But I can log on with the previous user profiles (administrator and standard user).
    Having looked in the C:/Users/ folder, it does not appear to have actually created a profile.folder. Similarly, when I go to security permission settings, it does not appear. It also appears to be missing from the Registry. But when I log on to Windows, it does appear on the log on screen.

I did search for solutions, found only the one where you need to do changes in registry (find registry key with bak in the end of the name, etc) but I don't have any such registry points (I made sure to look in correct directory)

Coud anyone help me with this issue? I know the user njf solved it, but he didn't write how.

2. BRK03

BRK03 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to log into it. When I try to log in, the following error message comes up on the screen " The User Profile service failed the log on. User Profile cannot be loaded". Then it automatically logs off.
    My previous accounts work fine. This is my home laptop running windows vista Home premium.
    What I tried so far: googled the problem and came accross the forum where it tells to look in registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\, find folders with long names ending with bak, etc, etc. This solution didnot help as there is no folder there ending with bak.

I also run System Files- SFC command, it found some problems which couldn't be fixed. But my system is running fine with the other two user profiles (one administrator, another standard user).

I have back-up discs for my laptop.

3. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,have tou tried this.
    1. Log in to an administrator account.
    2. Create a new user account and make it an administrator type account (you must make it an administrator type account, it will not work for a standard user account).
    3. Restart your computer in safe mode (press and hold F8 while computer boots, before Windows splash picture appears). Select 'Safe Mode' from the list.
    4. Choose the new account as the account you want to log in to.
    5. Once you have logged on to the new account in safe mode, you can restart the computer, log in as normal to the new account, and change it to a standard user type account.

4. BRK03

BRK03 Thread Starter

Thank You very much, Huggie 54. You are life saver. It solved this problem.

(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!