1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New VGA - No Video + Motherboard Beeps (1L-3S)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edgardo-xp, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edgardo-xp

edgardo-xp Thread Starter

Hi, I need your opinions on this strange case. First my specs:
    - CPU: Intel Dual Core E2160 @ 1.8 GHz
    - MB: Asus P5G41-MLX (Intel® G41 + ICH7 chipset)
    - RAM: 3 GB DDR2 800 (2+1)
    - PSU: Topower M5 Silent 650w
    - HDD: Samsung SATA 160 GB

So, everything was working perfect, had a XFX 8800GS videocard, no issues whatsoever. But this year I want to update my rig, buying parts little by little, so I started by getting the new videocard first, a Sapphire HD 6850. And that's when all hell broke loose...

When I arrived home from the store, I replaced the 8800GS with the HD 6850, plug the PCIE power cable and proceed to turn on the rig... NO VIDEO!! And on top of that, beeps from the MB: 1 long beep and 3 short ones. Obviously I re-checked the connections, but nothing. Removed the VGA, clear the CMOS, turn on the PC without the card (using the integrated video), and got video again! Plugged back in the VGA, disabled the integrated video, reset and... no video and the beeps. The system does manage to load Windows 7 HP 32bit, as I can hear the sounds on my speakers, but video never appears.

Thinking that maybe it was a MB issue, I used another MB (ECS G31T-M), but again, no video (the beeps didn't appear, though). Then I looked on the net for the beeps and seems that, on ASUS MB, it's a signal for "Bad Video Memory or VGA not detected". I plugged in the old 8800GS again and it worked flawlessly on both MBs. "It's the videocard then" I thought, and rushed back to the store. But when they tested, IT WORKED!! They used a Core i7 type of MB to test it.

To keep the story short, this is a list of tests I did when I returned home, after searching on the net and finding other similar cases of ASUS MB users (in most cases, they couldn't solve the issue either):
    - Replaced the MB's battery (of both MBs)
    - Dissassembled and assembled everything
    - Turned on the system without the CMOS battery
    - Upping the voltage of the RAM (from 1.8 to 1.9)
    - Tested each stick of RAM individually, on both slots, on both MBs
    - Cleared the CMOSes several times

NOTHING WORKED. I'm desperate. Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe the HD 6850 isn't compatible with PCI-E 1.1 MBs, and that's why it worked on the test rig in the store. Will I need to replace the MB? Thanks in advance!

2. sickcars

sickcars

Some ideas..

- The video card may require an extra power plug for it to work as the pci-express slot does not provide enough power. so make sure you plug that in, even try another connector and so on.

- Put in your old video card and update to the latest bios for your motherboard, since its a new video card it could be a compatibility issue that an updated bios may fix.

- Try unplugging things you dont need, so harddrive/cd-rom/sound card/only have 1 ram stick etc etc but leave the video card in there and see if it works. If it does it could be a power issue from your PSU

3. edgardo-xp

Thanks for the reply!
    - Yes, the HD 6850 needs an additional power plug from the PSU. I've tried different connectors too, but no still no video (and still the beeps)

- Both MBs have the latest BIOS and there's no additional updates on the manufacturers site

- Also did that, I even didn't connect the hard disk doing test (only connected PSU-MB-VGA-Keyboard), but no changes... I can only get video signal from the integrated video (before I deactivate it from BIOS).

Thank you very much, please give more ideas!!

4. sickcars

sickcars

hmmm maybe the video really is not compatible with your MB.

if your MB has another pci-express slot try that one

5. edgardo-xp

Thanks again!
    Unfortunately, there's no more PCI-E slots available... On monday I'll do some more test on the store I bought the videocard. Any more ideas are welcome!

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you haven't already try this :-

Physically remove the new Graphics card. Connect Monitor to on-board Graphics connector, start the PC and go into the Bios. Set the default Graphics adapter to PCI-E. Shutdown the PC. Re-install the new Graphics card and connect it to the Monitor. Power up.

Let us know what happens,

7. edgardo-xp

Nope, I tried it again, and it didn't work, all I got was the motherboard beeps, 1 long and 3 short. I even connected the graphics card to the PSU using the PCI-E/Molex power adaptor, but no results

8. edgardo-xp

Update: SOLVED. It was the power source. Tried with other PSU and all the problems were gone. Thanks for all the help and I hope this can guide other users with similar problems.

9. sickcars

sickcars

Good to hear you figured it out.

Now replace it with a good quality PSU like one from Corsair if you want reliability.

10. sickcars

sickcars

Good to hear you figured it out.

Now replace it with a good quality PSU like one from Corsair if you want reliability.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice