1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New video card not working in older motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolecho, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolecho

coolecho Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a M4A78T-E ASUS motherboard from 2010 that I need to replace the built in (motherboard) video with a PCI express video card. The M4A78T-E manual states that it takes PCI express 2.0 cards. I bought a "EVGA 01G-P3-2611-KR GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card" for it. I inserted the new card and left the video plugged in to the motherboard HDMI. When I powered up with this card I don't even get to POST, nothing at all on screen. This video card comes with a mini HDMI and I couldn't plug in to it!. I also don't have a DVI so I couldn't try that. I tried this new video card on a computer at work and it worked like a charm (DVI).
    Could this be an incompatibility issue? I assume that leaving the motherboard video enabled is perfectly OK, and should allow 2 videos aboard. I would be hesitant to disable the motherboard video in case the card didn't work, so I could get back to using the motherboard video.

2. replay

replay

did u look in the bios.............and change the display 1st option to pci-e

also attach the video card to the blue pci-e slot

3. replay

replay

here in the bios

Attached Files:

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Are you saying the monitor is still plugged into the motherboard graphics connector ? When the Bios detects a discrete video card it will switch the video output to that card and stop the video output from the motherboard.

5. coolecho

coolecho Thread Starter

Thanks Replay for the Motherboard/BIOS information. I did initially use the blue PCIe. It did recognize the card when I tried it today, I borrowed a mini HDMI cable and plugged that in instead of the motherboard and it came up fine. Many Thanks.

6. replay

replay

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice