1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New Video Card, Radeon 9700 Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willieji66, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willieji66

willieji66 Thread Starter

WindowsXP Home SP1
    AMD AthlonXP 3200+ (New install, upgrade) 400MHz FSB
    Gigabyte MB
    512 MB pc2700
    NEW Radeon 9700 PRO 128MB 256-bit

Hi,

First off I am in the process of updating and upgrading my PC. I have installed a Hitachi 160 Gig HD (still running off of 80 Gig), two new case fans, AMD AthlonXP 3200+, Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 fan with all copper heat sink rated for up to AMD 3400+ and using the thermal paste which was included with fan/heatsink and finally a new ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 MB DDR....and that is where my problem starts.

I replaced my Sapphire 9000 Pro 128 MB which played all the games I own. I recently purchased MoH Pacific Assault, which also played well on old card as well as Sims2, Call of Duty:Unified Offensive, all no problems. After I installed with my new card I am seeing triangular boxes flicker wildly all over with no texture to them, just a sky'ish color, cant see anything beyond them. Definitely cant play any of my games under these conditions. Also, when I close the game my wallpaper will have horizontal, static-like lines from top to bottom of my screen which affects my icons as well.

I went to the official ATI site and downloaded the most recent drivers with no change. Then downloaded the latest Catalyst Drivers, no help. I even reinstalled DirectX 9.0c. I tried multiple setting changes and I am still having problems with my Video.

Is there a certain setting that I am not trying?...or worse yet, did I get a crappy video card?

It is almost to the point of re-installing the old 9000 Pro if it weren't for the money I shelled out....$125. :(

Any help is much needed and appreciated.

willieji66

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Did you plug in the external power to the card? The 9000 didn't have one, the 9700 does.

4. Topato

Topato

the 9700 had external power? That's news to me.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

6. willieji66

Nope, didn't uninstall old drivers. Guess the excitement of getting an upgrade got the best of me....will visit the ATI site for the uninstaller.

Thanks, will return post if fixed or not.

willieji66

7. willieji66

The power cord is connected that came with the card.

I un-installed all of my drivers with the programs from the ATI support site, re-installed them with the same, crappy results. Un-installed them AGAIN, and re-installed them......SAME CRAP......triangular shapes begining from center of screen when playing MoH Pacific Assault. When playing CoD Unified Offensive, it plays great for 5-10 minutes then freezes with triangular shapes and I have to reboot via power button.

Is there a possibility of my BIOS being out of date that would cause my problem?...I have not updated them since it requires more expertise than I wish to try.

Here are some specs from the EVEREST program:
    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7N400-L (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
    System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (09/12/03)

Display:
    Video Adapter RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)
    Video Adapter RADEON 9700 PRO (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)

BIOS Properties:
    Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
    Version F4
    Release Date 09/12/2003
    Processor Properties:
    Manufacturer AMD
    Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
    External Clock 200 MHz
    Maximum Clock 3200 MHz
    Current Clock 2200 MHz
    Type Central Processor
    Voltage 1.7 V

Sensor Properties:
    Tsystem 24 °C (75 °F)
    Tcpu 51 °C (124 °F)
    Taux 34 °C (93 °F)
    Fcpu 5444 RPM
    Vcore 1.70 V
    V2.5 2.62 V
    Vio 3.28 V

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 24 °C (75 °F)
    CPU 51 °C (124 °F)
    Aux 34 °C (93 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 5625 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.70 V
    +2.5 V 2.62 V
    +3.3 V 3.28 V
    +5 V 4.22 V
    +12 V 11.71 V
    +5 V Standby 4.60 V
    VBAT Battery 3.30 V
    Debug Info V 6A A4 CD 9D B7 5F 51 AB (77)
    Debug Info T 34 24 51

Sorry for such a long reply but I do not know what is needed.

willieji66

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

After viewing your information i found one thing that didnt look right. Your power supplies 5 volt rail is below specification. It should not drop below 4.5 volts. This could be the source of your problems but then again it may not. Im guessing these voltages were taken when the system was at idle.

Do you by chance have a quality power supply?
    Can you list the maker, how many watts, and what's its maximum output.

Let's take a look and see if your power supply is up to par first.

Im wondering if your 5v rail goes even lower when playing your games and causing the artifacts and instability.

9. willieji66

Power Supply:
    StarLogic 300Watt ATX Power Supply

115/230v 104,64 60/50 Hz
    Output Rating
    Red +5v 20A
    Yellow +12v 12A
    White -5v .3A
    Blue -12v .5A
    Orange +3.3v 14A
    Purple +5VSB 2A
    Green PS-ON
    Black Ground

Thought I had a 350W. I have already reinstalled my Sapphire 9000 Pro and there are no hitches. I'll have to fork out some more dough ($) and upgrade my power supply.

I'll post again when I do purchase a new power supply and relay any info, good or bad on my results.

Thanks for all of your help......

I'll check back in often to see if there may be another situation similar to mine and if there is another fix for it.

willieji66

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 9700 / 9800 cards really require a QUALITY 400W ps at least. On ati's site, they say 350W I believe however that is for the card, one hd, one cd, etc. When you start adding drives, raid, etc the power requirements go up.

From what you are describing, I would tend to think the problem is related to the memory on the card. Either it is overheating or there is a problem with the card. Have you tried the card in another system? This will show you whether or not the card has a problem.

In any case you need a better ps to run a high power video card.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW is this a new card? 9700s have not been mfg in a while. The problems you describe are often found on cards that have been overclocked.

12. willieji66

I purchased the card on eBay. Said it is a new card and only opened for photo purposes....but who really knows. The mem on the card has aluminum heat sinks with same on card processor with fan.

My card is similar to this one;

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-131-199&depa=1

...but has individual heat sinks on top AND bottom of mem modules. Overclocked?...no idea, didn't say on site where purchased...

Well, after looking at the auction, it says Memory Clock 580MHz and Engine Clock 325MHz....Brand New. 256-bit DDR memory interface. That seems like it has been overclocked to me but I'm not sure. anyspeedpc.com is the seller.

Should I look into a cooling system for the video card as well? Of course, if the card is still good....which it had better be or I'm out $135.00.

To answer the question of trying out card in other system, no. I do not have another one to test or know where to have it tested except places like Best Buy or CompUSA. Maybe I'll take it to one of them to have it tested if they do that.

willieji66

13. watchman220

watchman220

:mad: I am having similar problems with my 9700 Pro bought from ebay. It worked great for about 2 weeks tops. Then it started acting funny on Battlefield 1942. Got weird triangular distortion from the center of the screen, and even though the game kept playing it was impossible to see what was going on. So I would reboot and then play for 5 minutes or so and it would happen again.

So I immediately went into troubleshooting mode. The fans are all working. Power supply is working. The machine will run just fine other than a bunch of visual crap all over the place. When it first goes bad in windows, it has 6 vertical bars of visual distortion across the screen. Then it continues to become more and more unreadable as you move the cursor and open and close windows.

I have:
    MSI K8T-NEO Motherboard 800FSB
    2 512 DDR PC3200 Corsair Ram
    AMD 3000+ 64bit Processor running at 200MHz x 10 = 2000MHz
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128DDR (Requires Power Plug)
    Audigy Platinum EX Soundcard with
    Add on card for External Box (Requires Power Plug from add-on Card)
    1 80GB Hard Drive
    1 CDRW Drive
    No Floppy Drive PLugged in
    Extra PCI Video Card 4MB for second monitor.
    350 Watt Power Supply.
    2 Case Fans

What I don't get here is that it worked well for awhile and now it is toasted. It always goes to crap now after a maximum of 5 minutes and sometimes on boot the black screen with startup info is all jacked too.
    This leads me to belive that it is not a driver problem within windows.
    So I thought maybe it needs cooling improvement.
    I rigged a case fan to sit right next to the Video Card to full on blast it with air. No change in behavior.

I also unplugged all but the basic components I needed to run the system. This made no difference. (Also considering the card worked before with everything plugged in and only recently went bad, I think I am out of luck.)

After reading some info online I came across this site
    frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1288&page=1

which talks about the copper plate installed for protection of some components on the board. It says that the plate is not touching what it needs to to transfer heat. Therefore there are more problems with this card due to overheating.

I think the damage to my card has been done. Now I just need to find out how I can get it replaced from the manufacturer, without the paperwork.

Best of luck to you, I hope this helps you, I have tried everything I can think of.

Sincerely,

Greg Eddolls

[email protected]

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You know, this is the second thread I have seen where a card is coming "stock" with ramsinks. Not likely.

This is the second thread that also mentions ebay as the seller of these cards.

I am really starting to think somebody is using radedit to set the clocks higher than they were intended to be set, flashing with the modded bios, adding some ramsinks and selling the cards as a "supercard".

The cards may test well in the seller's machine but when the end user gets them they go nuts trying to figure out what is wrong.

What I would like for you guys to do is download radclocker and install it. Don't change your clocks but check to see what the "default" clock is on these cards. If these cards are not at stock speed these sellers need to be stopped.

Check the speeds, post the card model and the speeds of core and memory.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One observation, you have a lot of stuff for a 350W ps. It may not be causing your problem [I tend to think the card is / was overclocked] however I would invest in a ps capable of running all of the things you have. ATI says a 300W ps for just the video card, mb, one drive. When you start adding things, they all require power.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice