1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New WD HD for Dell Inspiron 5100

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by svelay1983, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. svelay1983

svelay1983 Thread Starter

I had to purchase a new hardrive for a Dell Inspiron 5100. I am just wondering how to go about the Windows reinstallation on a Dell. Do I just plug in the reinstall cd like usual and go from there? I know this might be a Duh question, but it's a Dell. Will appreciate any help! :D

2. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

If you have the Dell XP re-install disk yes all you have to do is put it in the cd drive and follow the prompts for reinstalling Windows. Being that it is a new hard drive you will have to format it as well (choose NTFS). If any of the drivers aren't there you will need either the Dell Resource cd or go to support.dell.com and find them for your particular model. One thing that you may have to do is go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the cd is first on the list. But most of the time on a new hard drive it's not necessary.

3. svelay1983

Thats what I thought. You can never be too sure with a Dell though. haha. I have both the reinstall and driver cd, so I should be all set. Thank-you for your help!

4. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Good Luck.. One other thing that could 'possibly' happen is if you have to re-activate Windows you might get a message saying your version has already been installed on another pc. If that were to happen don't panic. Just use the phone option and call the number given for activation. Tell the MS person you had to install a new hard drive and he/she will give you a new registration number.. This is a 48 digit number and different than the 25 digit code on your pc.

5. svelay1983

Well no activation was needed and after hours of updates it is finally done. (SP1 patch version of Windows. :)) Thank-you very much!!!

6. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Glad to hear you have your Dell up and running. I'm hoping that when you said SP1 it was a typo.. If not I suggest upgrading to SP2. It has many security updates, and patches for known problems with the original XP and SP1.

7. svelay1983

Oh I did update. It was an SP1 version of Windows. Thats what I meant about hours of updates lol.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice