1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New WD HDD Doesnt work in old PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThePCguy95, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95 Thread Starter

I got a new wd2500ajjs a sata to ide adapter and an old dell dimension 8250. It is going to be ran as a small home server for pictures and music. It has its original 60gb seagate barracuda V drive with XP home on it and I want to install the WD one as a slave. The new hdd and adapter both work for sure but when I put it in the old computer it shows up as device 0 and the other dissapears, but when i switch the jumpers on the old one it show up but the old one is an "unknown device", there has to be one thing I am forgetting here, please try and tell me how to make the old one the master and the new one the slave I need to get it done soon. Thanks!!

2. ThePCguy95

3. Soundy

Soundy

I can't tell from that listing if the adapter actually has master/slave/cs jumpers... but if not, my guess would be that it's made to work in Cable Select (CS) mode. Try setting the old drive to CS as well. That way, master/slave is determined by which cable connector it's attached to (end or middle). If the old drive shows up as slave after that, you may need to change the boot settings in the BIOS.

4. ThePCguy95

Ok, I will try switching the cable around. The adapter does not have any jumpers so Im not sure how it runs but even with the old drive in CS mode they both are undetected. What should I do About that

5. Soundy

Soundy

The adapter may need to be on its own cable, then. Most older machines should have two IDE ports - try putting the old HDD and the CD drive on one cable, and the adapter on another.

6. ThePCguy95

Well, I tried that and, It Worked! thanks!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice