1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: New wireless adapters won't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StarCapt, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StarCapt

StarCapt Thread Starter

I recently replaced modem and router in our two-computer home with an Actiontec router/modem which works fine.
    The host computer in the home uses Windows Vista. The slave computer uses Windows XP Pro and has a Linksys wireless network adapter which works well but, being an older 802.11b model, can only provide WEP encryption. (The Actiontec is 802.11g.)
    I have bought several wireless network adapters, hoping to successfully install one and have WPA encryption. The same problem occurs with all of them: they recognize the home network (and others nearby) but cannot access the Internet (“Limited or no connectivity”).
    With one of the new adapters (and its configuration program and drivers) installed, I tried the following suggestion from the Internet: Run>cmd>ipconfig /all> ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew.
    The last produced a message: “Cannot connect with DHCP server.”
    After each unsuccessful try with a new g/n adapter, reinstalling the Linksys works instantly and well.
    It appears that the Actiontec cannot provide correct ISP for the new adapter? Is this the problem or what?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand your "host" and "slave" computers. Are you using ICS or something? Why not just connect both computers to the router?

What non-Windows security application(s) do you have on the XP?

Try ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. StarCapt

StarCapt Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I thought I was using commonly-accepted terms. The "host" computer (Vista) is in my wife's study with the new Actiontec router/modem connected to it. The "slave" computer (XP Pro) is in my study, connected wirelessly to the above by wireless network adapter.
    With one of the new wireless network adapters and its drivers/utility programs installed, I tried the commands you suggested and rebooted the computer.
    The problem remains: the adapter recognizes the network with "excellent signal strength" but will not connect with the Internet: "Limited or no connectivity."
    Once again, reinstalling the old Linksys adapter makes everything work perfectly.
    I'm using AVG anti-virus program.
    Much thanks for any help to enable me to use one of the new 802.11g wireless network adapters so I can employ WPA encryption.
    SC

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I still don't understand the host/slave, but I'm just going to ignore that and assume that you are trying to connect to the router.

Just a "sanity" check--you are not using MAC Address filtering on the router to prevent those other adapters from connecting, right?

Try connecting first with no encryption.

5. StarCapt

StarCapt Thread Starter

Thanks again.
    To clarify: Do you want me to go to the router/modem and remove the WEP encryption I've previously enabled there, then see if the new adapter will access the Internet?
    Or do you want me to try to access the WEP-encrypted home network with the new adapter without entering the WEP key?
    SC

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable encryption on the router (and make sure you are not using MAC Address filtering) and try to connect. If that works then try with WPA-PSK encryption.

7. StarCapt

StarCapt Thread Starter

I had some complications trying to follow your advice, since there was no clear way to disable the WEP encryption on the Actiontec router/modem. I simply switched to a WPA PSK encryption and, huzza, the new wireless network adapter now works. Thanks very much.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Saves a step that way. :)

You're welcome.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice