Solved: Newbie Firewall Suggestion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

John Burns

I am not very secure when it comes to firewalls - I have tried several, including Sygate, Kerio, Microsoft, ZoneAlarm to name a few. I have found that ZoneAlarm (free) seems to be the least intrusive and demands the least number of decisions from me once it is set up. One thing to remember with a firewall, it a decision is required, you have to either allow or deny that item - and many times you may not be sure which action is proper.

I found Sygate also very user-friendly, but it is being discontinued (free vesion). Of course Microsoft is easy, but it does not check outbound traffic. Kerio is very thorough, but it actully blocks some things I use - and I am not comfortable changing settings. So, I ended up with ZoneAlarm, which is as easy as any I have found and seems to have a good reputation in these forums.

Just a bit of information for anyone who is wanting firewall protection, but is not real comfortable using one. Questions regarding firewalls seem to pop up in here regularly, so thought this might help someone. :)

John Burns

Get a router with a built in hardware firewall.

Then windows built in works just fine.

No extra software needed.

I got my Netgear for free after rebate.

JMHO

John Burns

SpaceCowboy - I have a linksys router - but most seem to think software is also needed - so I have ZA too. The router works fine - just like to be over-safe, I guess.

Stoner

Banned
Morning :)
I also use a Linksys router as a primary firewall.
I'm still using win98se and have stayed with Norton's 2000 firewall.
I have another comp with Kerio 2.1.5 that also works well.

Neither Kerio nor the old Norton firewall seem to use many resources.
I haven't tried ZA in a long time.

I think it's smart to back the router up with an extra layer of security.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online