1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Newbie Mandrake 10.1

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Nvisible, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

Aight just so you know exactly wat is going on and my experience about a year ago i installed sUse 8.5 on my computer well I never really had the time to play with it or learn anything and over time i have made upgrades and ... what not. any way I got a bug the other day to really devote myself to learning linux so i went to go play well nothing works. So I downloaded Mandrake 10.1 from linux.iso.org. the DVD one got it all burned and thought life was great.. Was not sure if I had to do anything with suse that is just sitting there not working. So i left it figured Mandrake would re format that drive and be happy well I get started... every thing looks good it gets to checking USB it failed so i disconnected things that were not necessary printer external hard drive. ect. i have USB mouse and Keyboard. so tried the install again this time got through the USB detection fine then i get another fail and it goes real quick so i am not a hundred percent sure what it says but i think it is referring to memory i checked the logs and the kernel msg. and get the following.

Kernel Msg

Ex2-fs Warning: Checktime Reached, runnin e2fsk Recomended

Log

Mounting /dev/ram3 on /sysroot/tmp/stage2 as type ex2
    fopne(stage1.c:383) failed: I/O error unsetting automatic

If you need more of the log let me know before that is just string for USB detection though..

Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated

2. oldunion

oldunion

of any distro i have the most experience with mandrake 10-1. I am having a hard time understanding what happened if you followed the super-noob install menus of mandrake. Honestly, it was easier than windows to install...but thats why i dont like it and have moved on.

what did you tell mandrake to do about partitioning and mounting, because your errors seem like they may be related to how the partitions were formatted. i was given the option to erase everything and reformat it all, or manually make my partitions. im not sure if youre comfortable with fdisk or not...but if you arent and you wont miss suse, then try erasing it all and doing it fresh with mandrake from the graphical menu it offers.

3. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

I had not even made it that far it was like a fault while checking hardware like 15 sec. into the boot and install... I think i may just have newer hardware that is not recognised by mandrake so i am am currently downloading Mandriva 2006 dvd iso. If this dont work i am just giving up on linux i thought it would be fun to learn something new. but I guess i will just have to stay a microsoft jock.

4. oldunion

oldunion

ha, youll be back. i first started with redhat like 3 years ago, and now finally ive shed all ties to windows. you should try kubuntu, mandriva, suse....but i bet you get kubuntu to work.

see if you can format your harddrive, because it seems as though the partition is damaged and the computer is trying to boot from the hd right away when you want it to boot from the cd. i have to hit f12 on my box to tell it to load the cd first. try f12, f8, f2. once youre into the cd, its cake.

5. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

Mandriva did not work either it says failure durring th copying files part. Yes the hard drive is fine. although I tried to format my hard drive and could not get back into windows for a bit becouse it deleted the grub thing that lets me choose between linux and windows. so that was fun I figured it out though. any way i guess i will try one more go at this and try your kubuntu if i can find it I will let you know

6. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

You know i was just looking around at sutff. maybe my problem is that i am using the wrong build.

P4 3.2 ghz
    1gb. DDR RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 VC
    Asus Board
    Intalling to a 20gb WD HDD
    USB LOGITEC Key Board and Mouse
    i dont think anything else really matters.

I have been downloading the i586 builds i noticed that there is also a x86_64 build should i be downloading that one. also i have been downloading my ISO'S from

HERE

And kubuntu comes in i386 and powerpc sorry for bugging you guys so much i just want to make sure I do this right i have wasted 4 dvds so far. Maybe i should go and buy a DVDRW lol aight well let me know thanks

its a FTP maybe I should be getting them some were else let me know

thanks again

7. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

I am writing you all from Linux Land... WOOOHOOOO
    kubuntu worked great I just needed to start somewere to learn.

Thanks Guys Once Again You All Are The Best

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!