1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NEWBIE--sp3, cmd, regedit, and execute programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcdinh, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcdinh

bcdinh Thread Starter

hi everyone,

this is my first time posting in this forum. PLEASE HELP!!!

i have a Sony Vaio PCG-7D2L - Window XP Home Edition.

1. i just recently installed sp3 and it crashed. after it crashed i can't access run --> "cmd", "regedit" or execute any programs.

2. every time i open a program i usually get a "open with" pop up menu tell me to select a program.
    (please see below)

3. also get a "rundl32.exe" pop up error

4. i can watch DVD with my CD/ROM but when i try to reformat my system using XP_OS in BIOS it won't detect my CD/ROM drive.

$$$ can someone please verify my procedures to access BIOS correctly?

* before the system boot up...hit F2
    **arrow to boot tab
    ***i don't see any option for a CD/ROM (the only thing i can see are-- floppy disk, hard disk, network...)
    ****normally, i insert XP OS into the CD/ROM trying to view the disk --- the disk is empty but when i
    open it w/ a different computer i can view these files.

can someone please let me out??? thank you in advance for all your help!

[​IMG]

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. bcdinh

bcdinh Thread Starter

thank you your your replied Phantom010...that didn't work. every execute file i click prompt me the "open with" window. also, all items in control panel are blocked. error message "C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe" Application not found.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

It's possible your CD-ROM drive had failed. It has two lasers, one for reading CD's and one for DVD's.

Also double check the BIOS/CMOS setting once again and see if you need to scroll the list down and perhaps see the CD/DVD drive.

5. bcdinh

bcdinh Thread Starter

prior to installing SP3 i was able to access everything. i really want to format my computer to factory setting but i don't have the backup disk ect...except a standard copy of XP_OS. can i use that to reformat it? i went to BIOS screen and boot tab but i don't see my CD-ROM. how can i turn my CD-ROM on? my CD-ROM plays DVD fine but when insert OS disk to view-- nothing reveal. thanks!

6. bcdinh

bcdinh Thread Starter

thank you for your replied...can you please show me how to check my BIOS/CMOS setting?

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

You've already been in there according to your first post. Just do it again and this time try scroll the drive list when you get to the boot menu. Use the up and down arrows.

8. helpful

helpful

You will need to boot into Windows XP CD, before windows loads to start the XP text mode setup.

Most modern bios have a boot-menu that can be triggered by a specific keystroke,. Examine the first POST screen or motherboard user manuals for details. Select the CD/DVD device from the menu.

9. bcdinh

bcdinh Thread Starter

i think you are right surferdude2...the sticker next to the touch pad said "DVD+R / DL+,-RW^4". i will try to look around to borrow a CD-ROM that reads CD. thank you everyone. will get back with you guys later.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice