1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Newly installed PATA drive not recognized in BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SigVicious, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SigVicious

SigVicious Thread Starter

I'm working on a friends Dell Inspiron 8000 which came with a 20GB Hitachi IDE hard drive which now sounds like loose coins when it runs. I installed a new Fujitsu 120GB PATA drive. I've been able to reload Windows and make it boot from CD using the Windows disk, but, I can't get the BIOS to recognize the drive and therefor boot from the new hard drive.

Are the new "PATA" drives not compatible with older machines that came with IDE drives?

Sig

2. bigbear

bigbear

If bios did not recognise the drive then you would not have been able to reinstall widows
    Have you set the boot order in bios to hard drive first?

3. SigVicious

I originally set the boot order to CD first because the old drive had failed. I'm able to boot from the Windows XP Pro CD, and load windows. I've now changed the boot sequence to floppy, then HDD, then CD. but, am unable to boot from HDDsince the BIOS reports no HDD is installed.

The machine runs fine once i boot from the CD, HDD responds as normal, just can't boot from HDD.

Sig

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Does the BIOS correctly identify the new hard drive as a primary master?

5. SigVicious

The BIOS doesn't recognize the drive at all. The BIOS entry for Primary Hard Drive is "None". However, when I boot from the CD with my Windows CD, I can interact with the HDD as normal. I can create files as normal, load applications, run applications, etc.

Also, the drive is set up as primary master (no jumpers).

I've been trying to determine if this drive is too large in capacity for the Dell Inspiron 8000. Maybe the BIOS can't address a drive this large. I contacted Dell today via their online chat. Unfortunately I was unable to determine this with their tech support.

Sig

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the computer is so old that it came with only a 20 gig drive, it would not be unusual for the BIOS not to be able to recognize that size hard drive.

7. SigVicious

I remember having an old 386/40Mhz machine whose motherboard could only address 8.5GB in HDD space.

I've found some lower capacity drives on Newegg, 60GB, 80GB, etc. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try one of these.

8. SigVicious

I returned the 120GB and bought the last 80GB drive on the shelf. Installed it, same problem, BIOS not seeing the drive. Same story, if I put my Windows XP Pro disk in the CD drive, I can boot and load the OS.

I chatted with Dell yesterday, no luck with them. I'm at a loss at this point.

The laptop is basically usable if I keep the Windows disk in the CD drive and boot from that drive.

I have to give the laptop back this week because the owner needs it next weekend. I don't like to claim defeat, but, I don't know where to go from here.

Sig

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Let's start with how old the computer is and what operating system originally came with it.

To confirm, you reloaded windows on the new hard drive even though it doesn't show in the BIOS?

10. SigVicious

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8000. Not sure how old it is but came with Windows 2000. I've loaded XP Pro. The owner asked me to look at it because it would no longer boot. I've determined the original hard drive is bad, makes lots of noise, takes forever to read or write, etc.

I have no problem booting from CD and writing to the new drive thru Windows. The problem arises when I remove the Windows CD and try and boot from the HDD. I get the error that no boot device is found. I go into the BIOS and see that there's no primary hard drive found. I can then put the Windows CD in and reboot.

Even if I go into Control Panel and check my devices, Device Manager reports the drive is working properly.

Not only have I been able to load the Windows OS, I've also loaded anti spyware and anti virus applications.

Everything works as normal until I attempt to boot from the HDD.

I'm actually working on it as we speak, reloading apps onto the 80GB I just installed.

Sig

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the boot partition set as active? It won't boot otherwise.

12. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

This appears to B a P3 system....tho an excellent one, and I think even the 80Gb drive is too big for the mobo. iT SHIPPED WITH A 20.

Perhaps there is a bios upgrade which might help? I think it might be worth a look.

13. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure it you actually tested it, but that link in the PDF to download the BIOS updates does not work.

15. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Hi Bob,

I did not, in fact test it...the link in the PDF. But if it does not work, he can still go to Dell site and get the flash from them. Dell is good about stuff lke that usually. But OK, not always.

But now we, I think, can assume one is available and probably wasn't incorporated.....it must exist to download somewhere. Let me delve.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!