Solved: NIC Card Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Honeyman

I have a problem with a new NIC Card I just put in a computer. It was recognized and drivers loaded and when I went to connect to the internet, it says it is detecting proxy settings, found site, waiting for reply, but then it is connecting slower than dial-up. Because it is taking so long I get a Internet Explorer timed out message. It is connected via a D-Link DI-624 router. I can use the same cable in this computer and get quick access connected through the same router. Is there some settings that I need to change that I am not aware of? Thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that the system has Windows 98SE.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm confused, you use the same computer and cable, and connect? Why are you installing another NIC?

TerryNet

Terry
I'm confused too! Is maybe "a computer" different from "this computer"?

If "it is detecting proxy settings," maybe you have the computer set to access the internet through a proxy. Look through your browser settings, and if necessary change to not use a proxy.

Honeyman

Sorry about the confusion. A computer is different than this computer. I have no problem with this computer. The computer in question is my girlfriends moms computer. The old NIC card wouldn't work, so I got another and installed it. They use the modem and connect with dial-up, but since I have high-speed, I thought I would download the latest Windows Media Player, Explorer, etc... before carrying it back to them. For detecting proxy settings, the box that says automatically detect proxy settings is checked under the LAN setting tab. By using the same cable, I was saying that I switched out that cable to use on this computer to make sure it wasn't something in the cable causing the slow connection. Hopefully this gets rid of the confusion. Any other suggestions? I tried different ports on my router and different cable configurations and finally got it to work better. I guess it is as solved as it it going to be now. Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the update, you sure lost me in the footwork. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online