1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NIC Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amielito, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amielito

amielito Thread Starter

:)Hi! I'm a newbie, and I need help...hope anyone can help me...
    I'm having problem with my SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, it's built-in to the mainboard. A notification Icon says that it is connected even though there's no actual cable attached to it. My DSL Modem/Router could not even detect it when I insert the connector cable so I can't connect to the Internet. This is not happening before. I found a temporary solution to this... disable-enable...disable-enable...disable-enable the NIC until the Modem detects it by chance, and I get connected. I don't think it is ruined since it functions perfectly once the modem detected it. But another weird thing happens when I turn off the Modem...the notification icon will indicate disconnected for a short while, then it gets connected again, I guess to nothing...
    Does anyone have an Idea why this weird thing is happening? Is it software related? not hardware, perhaps malware? I used SpyBot Search & Destroy but no luck. I don't want to spend time formatting my PC, perhaps there's another way to fix this, I guess... Thansk for any help...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When it's indicating it's connected with no cable, please do this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. amielito

amielito Thread Starter

Hi!
    This was the result of the command ipconfig /all, as you can see, I manually configured my ip address and DNS server, but these are the same addresses my DSL Modem/Router provides when DHCP is enabled. At this point, I could not ping 192.168.1.1, it says "Request timed out"

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : neoby
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-A1-30-EE
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're sure there is no ethernet cable connected?????

Please show this no cable connection for 'obtain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.'

5. amielito

amielito Thread Starter

No physical cable connected to the LAN port but still connected. I also tried auto ip configuration but the error says "The connection has limitted or no connectivity". This indicates that the adapter is trying to find a DHCP Server but unable to locate one, which also means that it is detecting a connection although there is none. Weird isn't it. I think if this is not caused by a malware, probably the adapter is receiving bad signals from any part of the mainboard. I guess all I have to do is to disable it and buy a new NIC.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have DHCP disabled, which is why it says it's connected.

Select Start > Settings > Network Connections.

• Double-click the Connection icon of the connection you wish to modify to open the Local Area Connection Status window.
    • Click the Properties button to open the Local Area Connection Properties window.
    • Click to highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    • Click the Properties button to open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
    • TCP/IP Properties window, IP Address tab
    • Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
    • Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    • Click OK to return to the Local Area Connection Properties window.
    • Click OK to return to the Network Connections window.

7. amielito

amielito Thread Starter

Hi!
    I guess the adapter will not say it is connected if it's not detecting an active connection, even if DHCP is enabled or it is setup to obtain ip address automatically. Remember that an adapter which is not physically connected will just display an Icon with big red X with the message "...Unplug...", regardless of whether DHCP is enabled or disabled...

8. Pollex

Pollex

1. Delete and recreate your network connection.

2. Go into your Command Prompt and run these commands: (run as admin, and don't restart until you have run them all)

- NETSH int ip reset resetlog.txt
    - netsh winsock reset
    - ipconfig /flushdns
    - ipconfig /registerdns
    - ipconfig /renew

Restart your computer.

This should help out quite a bit. And if you are using Vista, there is a "Hotfix" for the "limited connectivity" issue.

Also, do you have a Firewall setup / active, and do you have the exception set up correctly to allow your connection software to go through to the net?

Lastly, if none of this works check here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=limited+or+no+connectivity&btnG=Google+Search&aq=3&oq=limi

There are alot of different reasons why this can happen, but doing the steps that I first mentioned is how I almost always get those problems fixed.

9. amielito

amielito Thread Starter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice