1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: NIS 2006 wrong activation key

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by murray654, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

Hi

My problem: I installed NIS from the wrong install file, and now it is running with the wrong activation key. How can I change the activation key?

How did this happen?: This installation package that I used by mistake was downloaded for someone else, burned to a cd and installed on their computer. Now we both have the same activation key - I am worried that liveupdate will block the key and both me and my friends will have no access to liveupdate. I really want to have the right key on my computer!! (and access to 365 days that I paid for - they already used about 79 days of their subscription.

Any ideas? - I am hoping to avoid re-installing from scratch.

Cheers

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Not sure I can answer your question ... You may just have to wait and see.
    I don't think you'll be able to re-install ... using the same norton version.

Recently - I tried to extend my Norton subscription by re-installing it - using a new (unused) copy I had of the same version.
    Last year I watched for sales and found a couple of freebees ... so I had a spare.

It wouldn't let me input the new serial. I'm thinking this was because it saw that the same version (Works/Firewall 2005) was previously installed.

Norton is getting as bad as M$ ... one copy/serial per computer.
    There is a limited number of activations.
    Playing around - I have reloaded several HDs and Norton wouldn't activate because I had used up my subscriptions.
    They wouldn't tell me how many was allowed ... but reactivated me which gave me another years worth.

I do have the same copy installed on a couple of computers - so I'm thinking ... Don't mess with it unless you have to...
    and say your prayers.

3. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

But what about my 79 days of subscription that I am short of?

4. murray654

murray654 Thread Starter

I managed to re-activate my copy of NIS using the correct activation key, and now I have the right number of days for my subscription.

The correct method is to click on help -> Activation -> Next -> type in the correct key

Cheers,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice