1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No access to USB Hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Heli Bass, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heli Bass

Heli Bass Thread Starter

System is an AMD Athlon 64 powered laptop running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2. I have installed a Western Digital WD200BB 200 gig hard drive in an Evertech model THB3530 USB case.

The system detects the USB plug in, and installs the proper driver for the Hard drive and USB mass storage device. How ever, no Icon appears in the my computer for the hard drive and no access is allowed. Also no window pops up asking what you would like to do with the hard drive. I have tried jumpering the pins to slave or neutral. No luck.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Keith

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. What is the status of the drive there? Is it partitioned, formatted?

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

I just installed one too but it is a different make and model. It was not recognized when jumpered as a slave. There were no instructions so I had just guessed.

Someone on here told me to set it at cable select or master so I did set it at cable select and it worked, even on my old computer.

I discovered the mfg. web site before doing this so sent them an email and they answered after I got it working. They said to set it as a "master". I left it at cable select for now and it is working well.

Had a similar problem a few years ago with a Belkin enclosure and WD hard drive. After having it fail, I noticed a label inside the enclosure with the correct jumpering and it is working too now.

I would try either master or cable select to see what happens.

4. Heli Bass

Heli Bass Thread Starter

Gentlemen;
    Thanks for the replies.
    I had tried all the different jumper positions I could find. None seemed to work.

All though the saleman assured me the HD was formatted it wasn't. (could have been a language problem, I bought it in Germany while on vacation, and I don't speak fluent German) :)

I couldn't figure out how to access it and try to format it again untill the instructions from Elvindil. I had not used that part of disk management before.

Again, thanks to both of you, the disk is formatted and recognized on the MY Computer screen!

BTW, it is jumpered in the neutral position.

Blessings!
    Keith

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That''s good news. Even if the drive is preformatted, it is a good idea to format it on the machine that is going to use it. For floppies, this is essential since there are minor variations in drives that can lead to reading/writing problems later.

Thanks for following up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!