Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Every time i install windows SP2 i get this error, but before i do it I'm fine, I've reinstalled drivers, I've tried it with and without my sound card installed, but i can't pinpoint the cause.
I think it is caused by one of my programs, and I'm not sure which one, my guesses are Norton GoBack/Ghost, Office XP, Palm Desktop, or WinRAR, because all of these programs were installed when i upgraded to SP2, I've gotten this error 3 times, and reformatted my computer between each of them, but I still haven't gotten any results. I'm going to try one more time, and hopefully it works, if anyone can give any suggestions it would be great.
Also, i install my programs on a separate HDD. (320 Gb Seagate)

I uninstalled Zone Alarm, WinRAR and Palm Desktop, AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!
But now whenever i try to install winrar, my comp freezes, i guess i need to redownload the installer, but here is another possible solution for the No audio device error, anyone else with this problem should try uninstalling these programs before the SP2 upgrade (although you may need to reinstall windows to do this)

Can we see a screen shot of your Sounds and audio devices > Hardware tab? Would like to see how it lists your devices, compared to Device Manager listing.

Go to the Services, and look at Windows Audio. Make sure the service is set to ENABLED.

There is what looks like a good sound trouble shooting procedure at
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000208.htm#2

You might want to try that, and report back on the results.

The VIA site for your chipset indicates that the sound is integrated; this would suggest that the "drivers" may be a part of the chipset firmware, and only an AC97 compatible Codec is required. If you have installed other, non compatible drivers (even "AC97 drivers") a conflict may result.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/southbridge/vt8235/

The MSI site for your motherboard shows v. 2.6 as the latest BIOS update (12/23/2005). You might verify that yours is current.
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/...l&model=P4MAM-V (MS-6787-040/060)&newsearch=1

What is with the Broadxent modem? The MSI site indicates there is a modem in the chipset.

Both VIA and MSI have support links which might be helpful to you in sorting this out.

I'd start by uninstalling ALL sound related devices using device managers, uninstalling any add-on sound and modem devices (software and hardware removed), validating the currency of the chipset firmware, reviewing BIOS settings to be sure the on-board sound and modem are devices are enabled, and reinstalling the sound (and if necessary modem) devices using only MSI and VIA originated software and instructions.

Screenshot is attached. Windows audio service is enabled and automatic.
I went through the steps detailed in the link. still the same.
Motherboard BIOS is up to date and onboard audio is enabled.
I have removed the PCI modem and drivers, in addition the onboard modem is disabled.
I did the whole process of removing everything and reinstalling the sound card. still the same result. when windows starts up it recognizes the sound card but keeps on asking me for the vinyl AC'97 codec comobo wdm drivers and then for the vinyl97.sys file. could this be the problem? is it stuck on this driver in some way? when I provide the file location it installs properly but still no audio device...
Is there a way I can completely remove all traces of previous drivers? I've tried removing the INF files and other locations where the drivers exist.

About the integrated chipset - how can I install only the codec?

Thanks for your help and the quick reply!

Attachments

Jim Pivonka said:
For a few years now I have occasionally followed the problems folks have with thie "No Sound Device" issue. I am curious to know if, when you say the Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties controls were not available (grayed out) you mean all of them, or only a part of them.

I have seen many cases where the graying out of many of the controls on the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet was due to miss assignment of the Sound Playback "default" device on the Audio Tab - usually to a modem speaker, instead of the sound card.

This seems to happen after installation of a modem, or when certain software, including the Windows OS or other programs, are updated or upgraded. For some reason the update/upgrade causes reassignment of the "default device" for Sound Playback from the sound chip or card to another device - such as the modem speaker. (Often sound is reported as "intermittent" in these cases, because the modem is capable of supporting a small subset of sound file types - those are played, the rest are not.)

I have repeatedly "repaired" computers with grayed out sound controls and "No sound device present" in Control Panel's Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet, but with Device Manager's "Sound, video and game controllers" reporting that audio codecs, drivers, and devices were OK.

In these cases the problem was NOT that the drivers needed updating or the OS needed to be repaired or reinstalled. The problem was fixed by changing the default device for sound playback on the Audio tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet back to the appropriate sound device.

I remember that not even a reboot has been needed after this simple change.

Of course, when an OS has been trashed and the hard drive wiped, replacement of sound drivers will be required after reinstall of the OS, in many cases. I had one of those, too, only two weeks ago. And when an OS version is upgraded, it may be necessary to install new drivers.
Jim Pivonka - THANKS!!! Your above answer was exactly on target! I had this problem "no audio device" and I had uninstalled programs installed in the last 6 weeks and was just about to do a System Restore back about two months. I googled the terms and found this thread and your very correct answer = " was due to miss assignment of the Sound Playback "default" device on the Audio Tab - usually to a modem speaker, instead of the sound card." I changed it back from my modem to my sound card and "like Magic" - it was fixed.

Many Thanks. :up:
TG

:)

Just to let you know that I also had this problem after installing XP Pro.
It seems that after the previous crash, somehow the drivers were wiped or corrupted.
Anyway the `Everest` tool in the earlier posting was brilliant, and I was directed to the home site for my drivers.
I had no problems loading and installing, and my sound is now better than ever.
Thanks all.

Regards

Chris

For a few years now I have occasionally followed the problems folks have with thie "No Sound Device" issue. I am curious to know if, when you say the Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices Properties controls were not available (grayed out) you mean all of them, or only a part of them.

I have seen many cases where the graying out of many of the controls on the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet was due to miss assignment of the Sound Playback "default" device on the Audio Tab - usually to a modem speaker, instead of the sound card.

This seems to happen after installation of a modem, or when certain software, including the Windows OS or other programs, are updated or upgraded. For some reason the update/upgrade causes reassignment of the "default device" for Sound Playback from the sound chip or card to another device - such as the modem speaker. (Often sound is reported as "intermittent" in these cases, because the modem is capable of supporting a small subset of sound file types - those are played, the rest are not.)

I have repeatedly "repaired" computers with grayed out sound controls and "No sound device present" in Control Panel's Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet, but with Device Manager's "Sound, video and game controllers" reporting that audio codecs, drivers, and devices were OK.

In these cases the problem was NOT that the drivers needed updating or the OS needed to be repaired or reinstalled. The problem was fixed by changing the default device for sound playback on the Audio tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties sheet back to the appropriate sound device.

I remember that not even a reboot has been needed after this simple change.

Of course, when an OS has been trashed and the hard drive wiped, replacement of sound drivers will be required after reinstall of the OS, in many cases. I had one of those, too, only two weeks ago. And when an OS version is upgraded, it may be necessary to install new drivers.
I have the exact problem you described after installing a new video card; I get the "no audio device" message in the sound and audio devices properties window, yet the device manager indicates the sound card is working properly. I tried your solution, but the problem I have is that under the audio tab, the default device for sound playback is "modem #1 line," and it's the only option listed. Do you know how can I get this setting switched back to the sound card if it isn't listed anywhere? I've reinstalled the sound card drivers, to no avail.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum - thanks for having me.

I am also experiencing the 'no audio device' problem. Here is my motherboard info:

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 02/26/2003-i845G-W627-6A69VM4WC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6577

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

Could someone let me know what chipset/audio drivers I will need (I tried unsuccessfully on my own)? A link to get me started would be great.

Thanks,

Darren

Just wanted to thank all the people who have contributed their experience on this issue, and at the same time want to share my experience as well. I also had 'No audio device' problem on my PC after I upgraded my OS from Win 2K to Win XP home edition. I have an 'ASUS P5GL-MX Series' motherboard.

After trying all sort of solutions which didn't work I finally re installed the 'Soundmax ADi1 986A' Audio Driver downloaded from one of Driver Support site which resolved this problem.

Hope this helps.

I have the dreaded No Audio Device in my control panel. I recently replaced the hard drive, loaded XP. used the manufacturers disc to load the drivers, done all of the suggested hints, but still no Audio Device. I had sound before and after I loaded XP. I have lost it along the way and will need a higher level of attack to solve the all grayed out issue. All devices that I can check all read working properly.

I feel something somewhere needs to be deleted or changed, but it is beyond my grasp.

thanks for any help

John

Hi

I have tried every possible thing to make the audio on my comp work. I also checked in my bios that ac97 audio is enabled. But still i have no audio device problem in my sound and audio devices. When i go on hardware tab and check the device status for Realtek AC'97 audio it says "The device cannot start (code 10)". Also in my device manager under sound video game controller it shows a yellow circle with black exclamation on Realtek AC'97 audio.
This is probably due to wrong driver installation for my system. Could anybody please provide me the correct driver for my motherboard. I dont have my motherboard cd and i tried downloading various drivers from net and none of them worked so far. I just did a fresh installation of windows XP on my PC. Below is the info abt my hardware on my system:

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 11/02/2004-SiS741GX-A7S8X-MX-00
Motherboard Name Asus A7S8X-MX

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2666 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2132 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS741GX
Extra Features CPU Overheating Protection

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
BIOS Download http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Below is the info abt my chipset
Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge SiS 741GX
Revision 03
In-Order Queue Depth 7

Memory Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 6T

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type SiS 330 Mirage
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Graphics Frame Buffer Size 32 MB

AGP Controller
AGP Version 3.05
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
Current AGP Speed 8x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
Product Information http://www.sis.com/products/index.htm#chipsets
Driver Download http://www.sis.com/download

Please help me.

Thanks
Vaibhav

I lost sound when I reloaded xp, because I lost the internet while I was surfing, and then could not find the network connection. I tried to install a new connection, but could not. So I re-booted da pc, and then my windows start had a strange display - no blue, and the name at the top had changed to my full name. I still could not make a new connection. So I reinstalled XPpro and regained my connection. BUT now I have no sound.

I have installed the latest drivers from MSI (865GM2 mobo), but it is still telling me I have ‘no audio device’, ‘no playback device’, ‘no midi device’ etc!

When I go into the device manager and troubleshoot it tells me the audio device is working correctly – hmmm – could have fooled me!!! It is C-Media AC97 onboard card. I am also being told by the pc that it has found new hardware (VGA Controller) and I need to install a VGA compatible driver. I am not too sure why coz the monitor is working well. So what da VGA controller if for I have no idea???

Has anyone got any bright ideas????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Rod

goody day guys, somebody would help i have a problem with my prsonal comp, it come with no sounds, problem with audio device on high audio defination bus , it appears to be that it has no sound cards drivers?why it so?how can i replace it?it always appeare in yellow color with question it has missing with audio driver why it is so?somebody would help me pls?

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v4.50.1330
Benchmark Module 2.3.224.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Computer MSGR-4A3A2CF738
Generator Administrator
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2008-04-22
Time 20:29

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name MSGR-4A3A2CF738
User Name Administrator
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2008-04-22 / 20:29

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Sempron LE-1150, 2000 MHz (10 x 200)
Motherboard Name Unknown nForce 6100-4xx Motherboard
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 6100-405, AMD Hammer
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Kingston 9905315-080.A00LF 512 MB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
BIOS Type Award (11/26/07)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA nForce 6100-405
Monitor AOC TFT1560 [15" LCD] (41579JA026276)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC862 @ nVIDIA MCP61 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-23JHC0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N (DVD+R9:10x, DVD-R9:10x, DVD+RW:20x/8x, DVD-RW:20x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

hi, i'm having the same issue as the original poster and have run everest. the read out on my motherboard says that i have an ibm thinkpad r51 motherboard which is the case. i however am unable to find any download info for the motherboard. can anyone point me in the right direction?

I note Jim's post last year, which suggests the 'no audio device' problem occurs when the system assigns the audio to play through the modem instead of the audio driver. This seems to be the problem with my system, which recently crashed and had its Windows XP reinstalled. The trouble is, the Sound Playback default device, which is now assigned to 'Modem #0 Line Playback' is the only device available on the list, and there appears to be no way to make the audio device the Legacy Audio Drivers, which according to the system are functioning normally. Does anyone (Jim, if you're reading this?) have any suggestions? I suspect the problem is easily soluble; I doubt it's a motherboard issue in my case. If someone could email me at nightspore11@hotmail.com I'd be very grateful.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.