1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Audio in XP Pro after SP2 install.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timmo83, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

I made a post a few days ago about my audio skipping during playback, but the situation has gone from bad to worse after updating to SP2.

sysinfo:
    Windows XP Pro, SP2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    ECS KA3 MVP mobo with SB600/ATI Azalia audio chipset (Realtek HD Audio drivers)
    ATI X1900XT gpu

The onboard chipset is recognized in the device manager and says it's functioning properly, however if I go to 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in the control panel it says there is 'no audio device' and all of the selections are grayed out in the tabs. The windows audio service is listed as 'started' under the 'Administrative tools' section of the control panel. This is very weird to me, maybe there's a .inf file missing somewhere? I've got no clue. Thanks for any help in advance!

tim

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You just need to download and install the newest drivers for the sound card

3. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, I did try that already, I got a set from realtek that are dated 05/10/07 but that didn't seem to help anything. I'm in the process of getting a fresh set of drivers for the SB600 chipset. Thanks again for your input, have you got any other ideas? Any help is appreciated

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look in Device Manager . . uninstall the sound devices and reboot, when windows "discovers" the sound card, cancel the installation and install the new drivers

5. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

Alright, I uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio drivers, then installed a fresh set of south bridge drivers, then installed a fresh set of Realtek HD Audio drivers, and it's still a no-go. This problem has me completely clueless.

6. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

I think I may be making progress, the Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio mixer is listed as stopped when I typed 'sc query kmixer' in the command prompt. It does say that it's set to start, but for some reason the service has stopped. Any ideas on how to get this process to start again?

7. timmo83

timmo83 Thread Starter

As best I can figure, it was some sort of service or driver conflict between Microsoft Kernel Wave audio mixer and my Realtek HD Audio device, the kmixer service was getting disabled. I couldn't find a way to reinstall the kmixer service so I ended up reloading windows *for the second time in 3 days.* Everything works fine now, though. For future reference I will load windows, then update it completely, then install all necessary drivers for my hardware. Last time I loaded windows I did the reverse of that and it seemed to cause some problems, as evidenced by the existence of this thread. Thank you all for your help and advice!

tim

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

I find I have the fewest problems if I install SP2 and the other 80 or so updates prior to installing drivers or applications

9. pattlr

pattlr

Wondering if there IS a way to initiate the kmixer? I have this same problem. All audio drivers are installed and fine...but the media control devices are not available so no sound. It says its installed and working properly but "location" is "unkown" and all controls are greyed out. Everything worked fine until I installed SP2. Also after installing SP2 can I "re-install" XP pro over it?
    Hoping there is some way of changing the kmixer from stopped to started instead but I haven't found it yet. Thanks for any help.

10. The Hound

The Hound

Microsoft says: "To install this update, you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed on the computer."

Microsoft KB 920872 package...

Note: If one or more of the following audio drivers are being used when you install this update, you must restart the computer. This enables the functionality of the following files:
    • Kmixer.sys
    • Splitter.sys
    • Wdmaud.sys

11. pattlr

pattlr

Thank you but I did find that fix and installed it but still the same issue.

12. s_o_cc

s_o_cc

Hi, I have the same audio problem too. But I don't install SP2 in the first , I've already have it.
    I don't know what exactly happen with my noteboo, acer, TravelMate3240, Windows xp sp2. I've update my audio driver, realtek. but still it won't work.
    it says no audio device.

13. Keke

Keke

My problem is when I first purchased my notebook it had sound, very low volume but, it could be heard. Now, the volume is almost nill. I have uninstalled drivers & disabled audio and reinstalled 4 times using both Windows auto installation upon restart and skipping auto install, downloading drivers directly from Realtek. Of course, everything says that is is working properly. I have also gone into registry and deleted duplicate copies of midi and mixer - I found info on another site regarding problems with more than 10 copies of drivers relating to sound in Windows/NT/2000/XP. Nothing seems to help. I know that there is a problem with the Realtek audio because I see it discussed on many tech pages. Any ideas?

Model: Toshibia Model A105-S4094
    CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor T2250
    Chipset: Intel 945GM Express
    Media Player: Windows Media 11.0
    Audio: Realtek ALC861

Thanks.

14. jonkvh

jonkvh

I fixed the problem on my end. All I did was look in device manager, then find the PCI bus that had a yellow exclamation mark next to it, then update the driver/automatically. It worked like a charm.

Had just done a clean install of XPsp2 with the very latest drivers, it's the first time it's ever happened to me with all the re-installs I've done on the XPC SN27P2/Realtek sound driver.

15. Keke

Keke

Thanks. I checked my PCI bus and all others. The system reports that it is working fine. No yellow exclamations. Thanks for the tip anyway! Still inaudible sound levels :-(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580372