1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No automatic daylight savings adjustment

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by seidnerm, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

I have not seen the daylight savings time change dialog window popup for the last 3 (or maybe 4) years. I usually just give up and set the new time manually. But all the messages that I read about this makes me think that this should be a basic function of Windows98se and that this could be a sign of a bigger problem my OS.
    The time zone is set correctly and the box for automatic changing to daylight time is checked. In the past I have tried unchecking this box and restarting and then checking the box again and restarting but nothing seems to bring this function back. I was starting to wonder if one of the windows updates may have changed this function.

:confused:

2. sir_comp

sir_comp

you have to turn that feature on in the control panel it was either regional settings or the clock or something like that.

3. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

It's in the date/time settings window and it IS turned on. :rolleyes:

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I dont think there is any underlying problem with you O/S because of this it did'nt do it on my computer this year,or rather it DID but there was no dialog box that popped up for some reason, first time Ive known that happen ,maybe like you say one of the updates changed it?

5. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

In my case there was no change to the time whatsoever.

6. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

Anyone know if a system file can be replaced or a registry edit can be performed to correct this?

Also, how to I know if the displayed time is standard time or daylight savings time? :confused:

7. telecom69

Hi, If you click on the time in the bottom right corner an information box will pop up :)

8. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

If you read the start of this thread again you will see that I've been there...done that. :rolleyes:

9. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Here is what my Central time zone registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central shows.
    ---------------------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central]
    "Display"="(GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)"
    "Dlt"="Central Daylight Time"
    "Std"="Central Standard Time"
    "MapID"="36,37"
    "TZI"=hex:68,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,c4,ff,ff,ff,00,00,0a,00,00,00,05,00,02,00,00,\

10. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

Yep, that's exactly what mine says. So what now? :(

11. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Don't know if this will work but if you have your win98 cd, you can try to rename the TIMEDATE.CPL to TIMEDATE.old, then extract a new TIMEDATE.CPL from it.

It is located in the WIN98_25.CAB file on the Win98 cd.

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

12. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

LOL. As soon as I did this the time bumped up an hour which suggested to me that the automatic function was now working. To test it, I set the time & date to April 4, 2004, 1:58am and waited. Two minutes later, up popped the dialog informing of the time change!

Thank you, Virtual Me! I had thought about replacing the .cpl applet long ago but never thought that it would be corrupted. I don't know what happened years ago to cause the problem but it seems to be working now.

Thanks again! (y) :D :D :D :D

13. telecom69

Pardon me for speaking Seidnerm, Ive never known such a fuss being kicked up over such an insignificant problem that you posted,was it such a big deal that you couldnt alter the clock yourself?

14. seidnerm

seidnerm Thread Starter

I have often found that when Windows doesn't behave as it should, it is a sign of a bigger problem. Fixing the time is a minor problem...I just wanted my OS healthy.

Sorry if I offended you.

15. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

(y) Glad you got it working the way you want it. :D

Got to run thunder storm fixing to hit our area. :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice