1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no automatic internet connection for always on

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shortstop6x6, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortstop6x6

shortstop6x6 Thread Starter

I reformatted my puter with xp home sp2. my computer wont connect to the internet automatically. i believe i need to specifically allow my puter to connect by changing settings. ive done this before but cant remember how. my internet connection is through directv.net via wild blue satelite internet. its an always on connection .last time i had this problem i got help from direct tv tech support. i been calling them for a week, no luck getting someone that knows how.
    under lan and network settings i have the 1394 net adapter connection, but thats all.
    my modem is working fine and im on my other puter right now.

please help me. im in the middle of nowhere. lol. hours drive to walmart, 3 hours to the nearest mall

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi shortstop6x6, and welcome to TSG.

How were you connecting the computer to the modem before you reformatted the computer (Ethernet, USB, wirelsess)?

A 1394 network is also called a firewire port.

Did you use the recovery discs or recovery partition that came with the computer to install XP Home or did you install the operating system a different way.

3. shortstop6x6

Hi there,
    i reformatted my puter with the xp home disk on reformatted partition. complete reinstall

im connected tp modem through ethernet cable.

4. shortstop6x6

My computer came with vista. i downgraded to xp, although i would consider that an upgrade

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    (y) (y) (y)

I am ready to do that one of these days on the laptop that I'm using. I just want make sure I don't find myself in the same situation you may be in.

You are probably missing the Ethernet controller driver and probably a few other hardware drivers as well. Open up the Windows Hardware Device manager and you will probably find that the Ethernet hardware under network adapters has a red or yellow warning sign. Trying to find the correct Windows XP compatible drivers can become a real adventure.

Many computers were new releases to support Vista. The computer manufacturer may not even offer Windows XP compatible drivers for download. You might be lucky and find the manufacturers of the individual controller chipsets offer the needed drivers.

6. shortstop6x6

i had xp home working this puter prior to this reinstall. everything should work.
    computer:
    manufacturer : EC2
    model: nettle 2
    chipset: nvidia mcp61 revision a3
    processor: amd athlon 64x2 4000

can you help me find a driver

in device manager the only yellow things are for printer and such, i can get that stuff when im online. already downloaded codecs .
    I have a disk that i made when i installed xp the first time. it has most everything i need on it. guess i forgot a driver. i keep this disk with my xp disk so i remember what to do.

sure appreciate your help

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry to say that I have never heard of a PC manufacturer called EC2 or a "nettle 2" computer model. It may be time to see if another TSG member can help out.

If you are sure you have a CD with all the drivers needed to make all of the hardware work correctly with Windows XP, is there any chance you just missed installing the Ethernet drivers?

8. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

cwwozniak,
    Only EC2 I know of in computers is Amazon.com's Elastic Compute Cloud virtual service.
    OP's first post says only 1394 under network adapters.

Shortstop,
    Besides printer, could you be more specific about what other items are makred with yellow circles. Section listed under, name or unknown device, problem message under propertis.
    We need to know the make/model of your ethernet card so we can help you find the correct drivers.
    If you can give us the name of the computer manufacturer it may help.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found the same information but figured there was no way it could be a brand of laptop or desktop PC. A Google search for a combination of the words nettle 2 and motherboard does get a number of hits. Some of those refer to H-P or Compaq computers.

Actually, their first post says, "under lan and network settings i have the 1394 net adapter connection, but thats all." I was not going to assume that they were looking at the network adapters entries in the Windows Device Manager or any other specific location. Windows XP has all kinds of places that let you look at and change different types of networking settings.

10. shortstop6x6

ok, im gonna try my best here. i sure appreciate you guys and your help.

i did cpuz-146 to get my computer info. under mother board found the manufacturer ec2, model nettle 2, chipset nvidia mcp61 version a-3. my computer is a compaq. came new with vista. i changed to windows xp home. and got all the drivers, but it looks like i missed the ethernet driver. but i had everything working on this puter with xp.

from the control panel under network connections there is only 1394 network adapter. this is the place where if everything is right i would have a connection for the internet.

in device manager there are some yellow question marks:
    Other devices
    Hp officejet 4300 series
    Multimedia audio controller
    officejet 4300 series
    officejet 4300 series
    other pci bridge device
    SM bus controller

Each of these items has a yellow question mark.

my ethernet controller thing is what ever the puter came with. where my ethernet cable plugs in, there is a silver small box attached to the mother board. cant find any numbers on it or close.

i think i was unclear in previous posts, i hope this is better.

when i called direct tv, they were able to help me with part of the settings i needed.
    here is what they asked me to do.
    control panal
    internet options
    general tab
    homepage
    http://www.directv.net/

connections tab
    local area network ( lan ) settings
    CHECK box marked---------- use automatic configuration script
    ADDRESS: http://wpad.wildblue.com/wpad.dat

this is what they asked me to do, but im not sure if its right.

11. shortstop6x6

hi
    more info my computer is:

COMPAQ PC SR5000

thats i think the model pf my puter according to a tag on the bottom

12. shortstop6x6

horray im online

when i made up the disks for my puter after downgrading to xp, i put all the files together and the extra disks for the things i wanted, printer ect.

good idea

except when i transfered all the files tp program files. i didnt install each one. so i had the driver but never installed it. that was in the file for my nvidia motherboard drivers.
    upon installing then. i went right online
    cwwozniak you were right.

thankyou all for your help. hope i wasnt to much the pain for you.

with us beginners, ya never know

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Only reason I knew to suggest double checking to see if loaded everything off the CD was that I found myself in a similar situation a while ago. :eek:

No pain to me at all. You may have been stuck at finding a solution but you were able explain the problem quite well and provided additional details when asked for them. :)

We were all beginners at one time. ;)

Can you please mark this topic as "Solved" if we have resolved your problem.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice