1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "No boot sector on hard disk" while trying to install XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cowbite, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

Well, I hope this is the correct forum considering I don't actually have XP Pro installed yet!

Many moons ago (June 2004) I purchased a Dell Inspiron 8600 to take to college. It served faithfully (including after The Great Red Bull Spill of 2006) until several weeks ago when the hard drive failed. No big deal, it's mainly my Netflix computer anyway. However, I'd still like to have it back up and running, so I purchased a refurbished 40gb hard drive off Ebay. I installed the new hard drive and checked to see that it was recognized by the BIOS (it is). When I booted up the computer it said "No boot sector on hard disk. No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility." Of course, I understand that's normal because the hard drive doesn't have anything on it yet.

Here's where the problems begin.

I have the Dell-issue XP Pro installation CD. I changed the boot order in the BIOS so that it would first boot from the CD drive. However, I got the same "No boot sector on hard disk. No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" error. Well, that CD drive has a history of acting up (despite being recognized by the BIOS), so I went out and got a USB CD drive (the kind with two USB plugs; one is for extra power I guess). Again, I changed the boot order in the BIOS to start with USB. I got the same "No boot sector on hard disk. No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" error. I tried using the new USB CD drive (with XP Pro disc) on my other laptop and both worked just fine, so I don't think the USB CD drive nor the XP Pro CD are at fault.

So, here I am, out of ideas and full of impotent frustration. What am I doing wrong? I thought I kind-of understood this stuff, too.

Many thanks in advance.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What was wrong with the old hard drive? Can you clone it to the new one?

Is it an original Dell CD or a copy of one?

4. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

I'm trying to do a full, manual install, so I don't think that should matter. From the looks of that website, it doesn't look like that hidden partition is necessary if you want to do a manual install/reinstall (ie: Step 3). To me, it seems like my computer refuses to boot from the CD or USB.

5. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

BSoD, and then the BIOS no longer recognized it. I don't believe I currently have the hardware required (no 2.5" enclosure or IDE cable). It's an original Dell XP Pro CD with SP1 (nice and purple!).

6. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

I just got an external 2.5" HDD enclosure and tried formatting the new hard drive using my working computer. I then put that formatted drive in the non functional computer, changed boot order (tried both the cd drive and a USB cd drive) and it still said there were no bootable devices. I even tried installing XP Pro directly onto the hard drive in the enclosure but it wouldn't let me. I'm completely out of ideas here!

7. markaherlan

markaherlan

I hate to say it but it may be fallout from the great red bull spill. I have seen motherboards get wet, especially with something sugary, and still work for a while but then have cascading failures down the line which sounds like what may have happened to you.

8. Spawny

Spawny

Sounds like the HDD drive PCB board is bad.

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    When you see the Dell splash screen, hit <F12>. You should be presented with a list of boot devices. Select the CD-ROM. Watch for a brief message on the screen that says something like "Press any key to boot from CD", and hit the any key quickly. You don't have a lot of time ... ;-)

10. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

The new HDD seems to work just fine.

Yep, tried that too but to no avail.

I think my best shot at this point is to try to install the OS on the HDD using my friend's similarly outfitted Dell 8600.

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Let us know how you make out ...

12. cowbite

cowbite Thread Starter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!