1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No bootsector on internal hard drive after AHCI enabled

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zakhail, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

hi everybody!
    I have a dell studio 1536 my hard disk got corrupted a month ago and tried different software could not make it to work so, decided to buy another HD .
    my new hard drive is (used) bought in ebay and SMART shows 100% health also tested on dell diagnosetic utility and all tests passed .
    So, here comes my problem , the very first time when i poped (new/used) HD into the laptop and started, it showed me the above error ''no bootsector on internal hard drive'' and gave me 3 options F1 retry , F2 setup , F5 dell diganose utility. I ignored it as you all know a HD without system files, partion , or windows would do exactly the same , and i went ahead and somehow sorted windows vista to install . When setup expanded files, it restarted and when dell logo and flash screen passed where it was supposed to boot from C: it gave me this error again , but the vista disk was still there i thought let the cd take care of it as the HD may not have been used after couple formating and wiping. So thought it,s normal, all installation went normal finally restarted again with same error above .
    Now if i put windows cd or whatever bootable madia i can get to my windows if i dont hit any key but first it will show the above error and then it will boot other media , even i can access to windows by pressing F1 ''retry'' after message appears and it will boot successfully fast and flawlessly but, windows cant find boot section by its own .
    Installed vista and windows 7 four times but same symptoms
    NOTE>>>> It will only occure when I enable AHCI mode , installed on ATA mode doesnt require me to do anything and will successfully go to boot from bios .
    my bios setup is in correct order and also reseted couple of times . reseated hard drive one time
    also i installed sata drive driver downloaded from dell site and loaded with usb everytime when i installed . So what could be the problem?
    Am i missing something prior or after installation ?
    I have completely lost my mind with this problem , tried 7hours of searching in forums nobody else has got same problem as mine , the error is same but symptoms are different
    [PLEASE HELP}
    i have tried to attach a test results but dont know if this site excepts html

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

When are you installing the SATA driver from USB? As this is a Vista OS you should not need to install the SATA driver as a compatible driver will be included in the Vista disc and likewise with Windows 7. You should be able to install straight from the OS disc with the drive set in AHCI mode. It is only required to install SATA drivers during an installation when using XP.

Try running a full format (not a quick format) on the drive before trying the installation again. You can use Gparted to do this:

Download Gparted from here and follow
    these instructions.
    Keep hitting enter during boot up to choose the default settings, you only need to enter anything when it asks for your language preference.
    It will reach a screen where it will show the contents of your hard drive.
    Right click on the partitions you wish to remove and select delete
    Right click on the partition you want to format and select "Format to" then choose NTFS from the menu.
    Once all the selections are made click on Apply in the top bar.
    Double click on Exit and select Reboot from the pop up once complete, it will beep loudly and eject the disc.

3. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

hi , during the initial installation i load the sata driver which was extracted to usb and then it takes from there and installs , but i got an idea , do you thing is that because i have attached a usb so that some installation files mmay have gone to usb ?
    is it not really essential to install sata driver which is provided in dell website in my laptop's model driver list ?
    does windows visa or 7 has its own amd sata drivers?
    thanks

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The preinstall of SATA drivers is only needed when installing Windows XP. I was not aware there was an option during the install of Vista or Windows 7 to install additional drivers during the installation or are you interrupting the installation to do this.

Try the install straight from the disc with it set to AHCI and it should be ok.

5. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

The driver which was installed from usb was amd raid controller and sata drivers , as this is my first time installing retail windows I thought i must need to install raid or ahci controller driver as I need to use windows in AHCI mode rather than ATA mode , do I need to install Raid driver or AHCI driver? in order to make windows recognise my mobo's controller?

6. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

I am trying right at this moment and will post back if i was successful , thanks

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, I'll wait to hear how it goes. Any controllers for the mobo will be in the chipset drivers which can be installed after the OS is up and running.

8. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

Hi , i have just finish installing fresh windows 7 on my laptop , sadly the problem is the same nothing has been changed , still no boot sector on internal hard drive but being inserted cd the windows will boot if i dont press any key or wait until the error and option comes then i manually select retry , so frastrated at the moment strange problem , never seen in my life with 17 years of using pc

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Lets try something else.

10. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

I have done this once before , but doesnt changed anything , i thinkg there is something wrong with my hard disk otherwise why a freshly installation bootloader would go wrong while the system can boot but manually not automaticaly, and that is only when installation done with AHCI enabled . Do you think that my hard drive is none-supporting ??? i have checked the model and that is same as other sata HDs are . It is toshiba MK1246GSX 120GB

11. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

Is there any configuration you may think has not been set ? Is there any firmware upgrade issue or changing some settings in HD,s software the way it treats

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Take a look in the Bios boot order and make sure the hard drive is at the top or second in place to the CD drive and it is enabled.

Have you got another PC you can put the drive into and then try the install of Windows again to see if it has the same problem?

I appreciate you have run the Dell hard drive diagnostics but a better test would be to use Seatools from this Seagate link and burn the ISO to a CD using ImgBurn, then boot the PC with it and run the extended test. If it passes then zero the entire drive and try the install of Windows again.

I am also suspecting that your hard drive has some problems, the test and the writing of zeros to the entire drive should at least make quite sure there is nothing on the drive before you start another install. See how it goes.

13. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

i have erased the entire hard drive with MHDD a software developed by hddguru.com i have made changes many times in bios , I even made hd the only device to boot from , it looks to me that bios is trying to read boot from somewhere beside from C: it is so frastrated and i am out of option except to take apart my laptop and pull out dvd drive or other connectors from motherboard as somebody susggested is a forum but the problem was different . I think there might be something which is missing a driver or something that prevents bios to look at C: first .

14. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

I have got another pc and i have attached to it the old and faulty hard drive as HDsentinel is bieng in proccess to repair bad or damaged sectors , its 4 days since i ran that test on other pc and it prbably take couple of days more, and as long i know the other drive didnt give this error

15. zakhail

zakhail Thread Starter

one thing more i would like to add is that my hard drive is bieng shown as a removeable device in notification area , do you thing is that normal ? or there is a driver missing ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!