1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No buttons in "Display Properties" window

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by countrydaddy, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. countrydaddy

countrydaddy Thread Starter

I am running XP on an IBM Thinkpad A22M laptop. I have done something that has changed my screen size to a 9x7 inch instead of the normal 12x9 inch that it should be. Everything inside the screen is normal size and is positioned to fit onto the screen. In playing around with settings, I changed the DPI from the normal 96 to a DPI of 144, and how I can't change it back. Reason is, I can't get to the buttons at the bottom of the "Display Properties" window; the bottom of the window is cut off and I can't scroll down. In the "Settings" tab, I can just get to the tops of the "Troubleshoot" & "Advanced" buttons,, but in the "Advanced" screen I can click on the "96 dpi" option but can't save it because the "OK" button is off the bottom of the screen. Also, I am using a dual-boot with 2 partitions, 1 in DOS and the other in Windows. This screen size is the same in both.

Will appreciate any and all help.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can't you drag the window up?

3. countrydaddy

I can only move it up a tiny bit with the blue bar at the top of the window. If I try to use the scroll bar at the side of the Control Panel screen in the background,, the "Display Properties" window disappears as soon as I click on it. I forgot to mention, also, that I am unable to do a "System Restore" for some reason.

4. Phantom010

You've only tried it in the Control Panel?

Have you tried right-clicking the desktop and selecting "Properties"?

5. countrydaddy

Yes, but I still end up in the "Display Properties" window with no buttons at the bottom. I have tried the Alt+Space Bar key combination to resize or move the window, but that doesn't work, either.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After clicking on the dpi option press the TAB key three times. That should move the focus to the OK button. Press ENTER.

7. countrydaddy

Thanks for the reply, TerryNet, but unfortunately that didn't work, either.

8. Phantom010

Try doing it from the registry:

Click Start > Run > type regedit

Press Enter.

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI

In the right pane, change the value for LogPixels back to 96 (Decimal).

Do the same for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics

In the right pane, change the value of AppliedDPI back to 96 (Decimal).

Once done, OK your way out of the registry and restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

9. countrydaddy

My apologies and thanks to both of you, Phantom010 and TerryNet. TerryNet your suggestion apparently DID work, after all. Although I never was able to see the OK button after trying your suggestion, when I tried to exit the "Display Properties" window, it asked me to reboot and when I did, I had a full screen!
    Phantom)010, thanks for going to the trouble, and I certainly would have tried your registry fix if I had needed to. Super help!!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad that worked, even though I didn't have a complete procedure. The difference may be that I have "change immediately" selected and you have "reboot to make the change" (two of the three options that you also couldn't see).

You're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice