Solved: No Case standoffs fit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaytmoon

Hi All,
I got this atx style Mid tower case from school (No Name). There were no standoffs or any other screws included (lost I guess). I found 2 brass standoffs that fit two holes on the rear 2 corners where the MB would mount. All the other mounting holes are too large for the 2 standard brass standoffs and even the older Nylon standoff's dont fit the holes (holes too large). Is there any other way to securely mount the motherboard to the case besides using the nylon standoffs just sitting against the back? It's just an old "frankenstein" pc for experimenting with linux, but I dont want the motherboard damaged.
Thanks

That doesn't help anyone figure out what you have.

1 - Know who made the case - model to locate new parts
2 - Go to a real electronics store (Frys, Microcenter) - they sell brass stand-offs, but they DO come in different sizes
3 - maybe cheaper and faster to go out and buy a $20 (no PSU) case.

jaytmoon

Hi All,
I got this atx style Mid tower case from school (No Name). There were no standoffs or any other screws included (lost I guess). I found 2 brass standoffs that fit two holes on the rear 2 corners where the MB would mount. All the other mounting holes are too large for the 2 standard brass standoffs and even the older Nylon standoff's dont fit the holes (holes too large). Is there any other way to securely mount the motherboard to the case besides using the nylon standoffs just sitting against the back? It's just an old "frankenstein" pc for experimenting with linux, but I dont want the motherboard damaged.
Thanks
Thanks Compiler, I was told the case was from Compusa.com but I can't locate any markings or lables to identify the model or brand. Not even a UL Labs stamp (scary). I know I could get a case by mail order (no frys or "real pc stores near me). For now, I have the board in place with two brass standoffs and six nylon spaces affixed just to the board.

Cases don't require a UL stamp... they are not elecronics. The power supply is.

If what you have works... so be it until you can get brass stand-offs or a new case for $20~50. A $50 Coolermaster would be recommened.

Cooler Master Centurion 5 that is? Or then Antec 300 for 60 $, for quite a bit better cooling and cooling expansion possibilities.

jaytmoon

UL or Underwriter Laboratories is used in the US to underwrite products (mostly electrical in nature) to certify them as safe for insurance and consumer use purposes. Many Cheap, foreign made goods come into the country with no safety inspections, making them a potential fire hazard or worse.
For more info just google UL Labs.
Since you are in the UK, I'm not sure if you have an equivalent over there.

Back on subject, I'm using this case till my next "real" build. At that point I'm leaning towards an Antec 900 series.
Thanks All

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!