[SOLVED] no cdrom and burner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debbie1968

I am not sure how this happened but one day i went to go make a cd and for some strange reason my comp wasnt reconizing my cdrom or my cd burner..can some one please help me...but please use basic turms ...im not to bright when it comes to these things..thanks so much debbie

Need a little information

How is your machine configured, are the cdrom and the burner both attached to the same ide cable, secondary master and slave???

If you go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/cdrom tab. Do you see the two units listed, any error markers yellow or red showing, if so, what is error message.
Any error listed on ide controllers in device manager.

If you boot your machine do you see the cdrom and burner initialize on the black scrolling screen

debbie1968

hi....under hard disc controllers- secondary IDE controller(dual fifo) has a yellow exclamation mark...as far as the the cdrom and burner sharing a cable, how do i find this out? thanks so much for your help Debbie

The ide controller with the error, did you click on it and select properties, what was the error message

debbie1968

hi under Device Satus it says.....this device is either not presesnt, not working, or does not have all the drivers installed (code 10)

Oh boy, this just made my day packard bell 880C :(

Let's see what's in your config and autoexec files.

Go to start/run/type sysedit and press enter. Go to the config.sys tab, then go to edit, select all, edit copy and paste the contents of the file into this thread. Do the same with the autoexec.bat tab in sysedit.

debbie1968

rem - By Windows 98 Network - c:\windows\net start
@ECHO OFF
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- QASEAL
IF EXIST Windows\Options\SysTools\QASeal.tag GOTO QASEAL
QASEAL /S:QASEAL.1 /L:QASEAL.2 /D:QASEAL.*
:QASEAL
Windows\Options\Systools\Hs2dmi.com

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

[Common]

Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys

[Menu]
MenuItem=Win,Windows 98
MenuItem=DOS,MS-DOS Prompt
MenuDefault=Win,0

[Win]

[DOS]
Device=C:\Windows\Emm386.exe NOEMS

I don't see anything there that would cause a problem.

When you reboot your machine do you see the two drives recognized by the bios on the black screen that scrolls.
Do the lights on the front of both drives light up for a second when powered up

Where there any other error messages in device manager besides the code 10

debbie1968

wellllll... i was fiddling with this today and i do not know what i did but now the yellow exclamation mark is gone and now it is recondizing some thing in the D drive but its the burner not cdrom....what did i do???? ( can you see blonde hair )

So now you have the burner, but no cdrom.

Does the cdrom light go on when you reboot????????

Go into device manager, cdrom tab, is the cdrom listed there.
If so select it, go to the bottom and hit remove, reboot, let's see if you get lucky :)

If that doesn't work I am afraid you will have to open the computer up, check the cable going to the cdrom, make sure it is connected tight. Also the power plug. There is a jumper on back of the cdrom, it can be set to either slave or master, just make sure it is on, if it was working before it should still be in the right position. While your in there, look and see if the cdrom and burner are on the same cable, from what you describe I would assume so.

debbie1968

ok i did what you said and i removed the cdrom....well now the yellow (!) mark is back and still no cd rom or burner

Damn, are either still showing up in device manager???

Your going to have to do this

If that doesn't work I am afraid you will have to open the computer up, check the cable going to the cdrom, make sure it is connected tight. Also the power plug. There is a jumper on back of the cdrom, it can be set to either slave or master, just make sure it is on, if it was working before it should still be in the right position. While your in there, look and see if the cdrom and burner are on the same cable, from what you describe I would assume so.
The last option would be to remove the ide controller but that's a little scarey with your pack bell.

debbie1968

hi well i found out i was missing a file called side213 and once i got that back in ,my cdrom and burner are both there and are both working :)...thank you for all your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online