1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Connection When Hard Wired To Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Meyer, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

Hi All!

I have recently purchased a Belkin N1 Wireless router and am unable to get a connection through it when it is hard wired directly to the computer.

I have tried all the usual things (power cycling, turning off fire walls, upgrading firmware...) and am having no luck.

I called Belkin support who told the the router was dead. I disagreed (which they did not like very much) and told them that I could get a wired connection to work if I used a different computer.

I have a desktop PC with no wireless card, so I need this computer to be wired directly to the computer with the router (for several other laptops around the house).

This set up has worked fine in the past.

I was able to create a wireless connection through my laptop and if the cable modem is plugged into the router I can connect wirelessly through any of my laptops.

I have a feeling it is some network configuration on my computer side. Everything currently is set up to detect IPs and DNS automatically.

The "wired" light on my router does not even come on when plugged to the desktop computer. I get a "no connection" status on my network connection.

If anyone has any suggestions on this baffling problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

-Meyer-

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would help a bunch if you told us what modem you have, make/model.

Your description sounds like a bad cable, bad NIC, bad NIC drivers, or a bad port on the router. Since you connect wirelessly, let's see this for a wirelessly connected computer.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.

I am currently using a Belkin N1 Wireless Router (Model: F5D8231-4). I actually got the exact same problem when I tried to use one of my back up routers (Linksys G).

I have tried a ton of different cables, so I am pretty sure that is not the problem. I am able to connect when connecting directly from the cable modem to the computer, just not when it goes through the router.

I will provide information for both the computer that works when directly connected to the modem, and then a computer that is succesfully logged in wirelessly through the router (You get no information when the computer is hardwired to the router, since there is no connection):

Desktop connected directly to cable modem:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-21-44-45-39
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.178.105.65
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 64.178.96.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.169.160.16
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.169.160.2
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:27:32AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:48:01PM

--------------------------------------------------

Laptop connected wirelessly to Belkin Router:

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HTA
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLA
    N Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CF-03-53-40
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 10, 2007 12:05:30PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 07, 2017 12:05:30PM

-------------------------------------------

I hope this additional information is useful.

Thanks again!

-Meyer-

4. JohnWill

Your desktop shows a public IP address, which indicates you have the broadband modem connected to a LAN/Network port, and not the WAN/Internet port of the router. I'd suggest correcting that first.

Also, your laptop doesn't show any wired NIC as being recognized by Windows, so I can see why that can't connect with a cable.

5. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

John (fellow Pennsylvanian),

Yes, the IPConfig for the desktop was done when the cable was connected directly from the modem to the computer. If it goes through the router, there is no connection at all and you get no information back for the IPConfig command.

The laptop is running wirelessly through the router. I had to unplug the cable from the computer to the router to get the IPConfig information from the laptop (so it would connect wirelessly).

The laptop also is able to get a wired connection if I plug the wire from the cable modem to the router, and then to laptop. However, I can not get a wired connection if this is done through the desktop.

If you need anymore information or have any ideas just let me know.

Thanks!

6. JohnWill

Well, if you use the same cable to connect to the router, and it comes up with Media Disconnected, the router has a problem. Did you try other ports on the router?

This sure sounds like a bad router. You've eliminated the computer and the cable.

7. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

I initially thought the same thing. However, why would it show a "wired" connection when connected to a different computer? Only the desktop does not work when wired directly. I have tried the exact same setup on my laptops in the house, and am able to get a "wired" connection through the router...

Is there anything on the desktop configuration side that could be causing this?

Thanks!

8. JohnWill

Let's recap.

You use the same cable and connect to the broadband modem directly. The desktop connects properly, and you have Internet access.

You then move the cable to the broadband router, reboot the computer and the router, and it comes up as "media disconnected".

Analysis: Router is broken.

9. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

John,

Thank you again for taking the time to look at this problem.

I guess my biggest question is, why would it work connected to a different computer and not my desktop? This would indicate to me that the router is not dead, but there is something wrong on the desktop side.

I was able to configure the router through one of the laptop, because the wired connection did work. It is the desktop that needs to have the wired connection, because it does not have a wireless card.

Do you still think the router is dead even though I can get a wired connection on another computer?

This is a very frustrating problem, so any more advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

-Meyer-

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Device Manager right click on your ethernet adapter - Properties - Advanced tab. If there is a "Link Speed & Duplex" (or similar words) option try different settings. Usually "Auto Detect" is best, but sometimes with certain NIC and modem or router port combinations you have to find another setting.

11. Meyer

Meyer Thread Starter

John & TerryNet,

Thank you both for all of your help.

With TerryNet's recent advice I tried to change the speed/duplex setting on my network card. I changed the configuration from automatic to "Force 100 Full Duplex." And this worked!!! the wired connection came on after a few seconds and I was able to connect to the internet on both my desktop PC (no wireless card) and my laptops.

I was also able to connect if I changed the connection to "Force 100 Half Duplex."

I have to be honest... I have no clue what I just did to fix this. Can you enlighten me to what this change (duplex full/half and speed changes) did?

What is the best setting to be using? Should I be using half or full in this case?

I am thrilled that things are working at the moment, but any additional hints and advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for all your help!

-Meyer-

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You want to use Full duplex (messages can flow in both directions at the same time) when possible. Half duplex means one direction at a time (e.g., CB radio).

My guess was, and remains, that the NIC in your computer is aging and is 10/100 mbps; modem's port is either 10 or 100 mpbs; router ports are maybe gigabit. The older NIC has trouble auto-detecting the speed of the newer razzle dazzle router ports.

Glad I could be of help after you and John did all the heavy lifting of trouble shooting.

Please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

13. JohnWill

I misread and thought nothing connected using a wired cable. Glad Terry was there to bail me out. :D

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's the least I can do for somebody dealing with a cold and uncaring (FiOS) Actiontec router. :)

15. JohnWill

It's warm now, still has it's blanket on. Hope it holds out until I get the new one! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice