1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Contacts folder in Personal Folder Microsoft Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wondering willy, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wondering willy

wondering willy Thread Starter

I had a crash and the operating system had to be restored non-destructively. The backup operation saved the Microsoft Outlook .pst file. I have now recovered all the e-mails but the Contacts folder is "empty" when looking for an address. The Contacts folder (as well as the Calendar folder) also does not appear in the list of folders in the Navigation Pane. If I attempt to export a comma separated file (DOS) from the Personal Folders, the "Contacts" folder appears in the window when browsing for the folder to export. If I export that file, all the contacts are there complete with all the addresses when viewed as an Excel file. Any suggestions on how to integrate the contacts into the Personal folder without having to recreate a contact file manually from the Excel file? Cheers, Wondering Willy

2. smith_

smith_

All contact saved in Address book, which is the part of the windows operating system, Address book located in under user's profile. As you did not take backed up Address book, so you can not get your contact back. PST contains only outlook data not contact.

3. wondering willy

Thank you for your response. However, I believe the data is still there some place. In the Navigation Pane, neither Contacts nor Calendar appear. However, if I do an export, in the window that opens both the Contacts and Calendar folders appear in the Personal folder list. If Contacts is selected and the folder is exported to either a CSV or Excel file, all the old address data are there. The only difficulty is that it is in an Excel file and I don't know how to get it back into an address book format. Cheers, Bill.

4. Ratboy

Ratboy

wondering willy,

Try this:

In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing directories or address books
    Click Next
    Highlight Outlook Address Book, then click Remove, OK, and Finish
    Close and restart Outlook

In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > Add a new directory or address book > Additional Address Books > Outlook Address Book.
    Click Next, then OK.
    Close and restart Outlook

In Outlook's Folder List (You can see the Folder List by clicking on Go and selecting Folder List), right click on the Contacts folder and select Properties.
    Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and check the Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box
    Click Apply, then OK.

5. wondering willy

Ratboy, Wow! I'm impressed! The first approach (remove existing contacts, restart, add contacts, restart) did not work. The contacts folder was still empty. However, the second approach (show folder list, properties, etc.) was the key. I did not have to show properties. Merely going to "Go"-folder list showed the folders in the Navigation pane and the Contacts folder was there with all the addresses. Thanks so much. I just did not want to reload the address book manually from an Excel file. I owe you one. Cheers, Bill. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!