1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No defender or defragmenter ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lancalot, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

morning People,
    just installed Vista business and am having a few problems finding both windows defender and the deframenter. can't find the defender to start it up inside vista at all and if i download it from ms the install program just tells me it is already there and does not need to install it again. the defragmenter is just plain not there. in the property / tools it says the defragmenter is not installed. medium system capable of running vista and all the other things i want, at the moment. vista installed over xp as a clean o/s so it made old windows of the existing. which helps finding old programs you want to keep for the moment. running nod as av and avg as well with everything is updated for the virus/trojan issues. using windows firewall for the moment cause i would be waiting for zone alarm to become compatable. going to install spysweeper soon to cover those bases. any help finding how to get the first two up and running would be apreciated thanks.. lance :rolleyes:

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Windows Defender is there. Look in the Security section in Control Panel.

Disk Defragmenter is in Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Defrag.exe is located in the windows\system32 folder. Check to see if you have it OR you could open a cmd prompt and type in defrag C: and see if it runs.

BTW I really dislike the new interface and always run defrag from a cmd prompt.

4. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

that was quick. well i have found the dfrgifc , defrag interface icon there as said, but it won't open . I have tried allowing all , open as admin ect but it just won't run. sooo next.???

5. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

p.s It ain't in the control panel either.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Windows Defender is in %Program Files%/Windows Defender folder. MsAsCui.exe is the excutable.

Can you see WD in All Programs?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried running defrag from the cmd prompt?

Have you checked under control panel>programs and features>turn on windows features?

8. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

sorry, went to the movies.
    ok, defender won't run from the cmd,
    there is NO trace of wd in windows folder in my computer. in the control panel where it says you can turn on wd, nothing happens when you click the link.
    have explored window folder for the last 20 minutes and can't find the MsAsCui.exe icon any where . if you do a search on it, it comes up empty as well.
    truly confused as to why I can't find the bloody thing...................next:confused:

had a thought . would any one know how to turn it on from the regedit link?
    if indeed it is installed and dis-abled? NOT BY ME>>>

9. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

checking the registry, there are only 4 entred for windows defender.
    the first one is true.
    the second one is a disable antispyware reg dword 0x0000001 (1)
    thid one is msmp res .dll -104
    the last one true like the first.
    if that's any help to you all..........(y)

10. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

deleted thos entries on the hope that it might let me re-install defender but, no such luck.
    still says that defender is part of vista and you don't need to install,.......still hoping for a solution from you clever guys & galls here...:)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried what was posted in post #7 ie looking in program features>turn on features?

12. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

yep. it aint there to turn on or off. :eek:

13. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

no other hints or tips to try to resolve this issue?
    have downloaded a trial of spysweeper and ashampoo defranmenter2 to cover the bases till you all give me the fix , thanks n advance:cool:

14. lancalot

lancalot Thread Starter

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have never posted whether you could run defrag from the cmd prompt. You posted about defender however not defrag.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice