Solved: No Desktop, icons or start menu - Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dardiel

This morning I powered the computer following the Christmas break (Windows 7 64 bit). The screen displayed the backgorund colour only, not a black screen. There was no desktop, icons or start menu. The keyboard did not function; could not start Task Manager. Pressed the Windows key + f5; no response. Pointer shows and moves with mouse but no mouse functionality.

I rebooted in safe mode and the system was restored with limited Safe Mode functionality. I ran ESET virus scan; no viruses found. I rebooted; no change. I attempted to do a System Restore to earlier this morning prior to a Windows update install dated 2012-12-26: 729 EST. No change. I attempted to restore to an earlier restore point last week; no change. I am currently running CHKDSK /R in order to verify that there are no disk problems. I have all data files backed up but do not have a disk image.

I cannot download TSG SysInfo until I get the desktop back.

Suggestions?

Welcome to TSG dardiel!

Seeing that you can access Safe Mode with no issues, I suggest that you Performing a Clean Boot of Win 7 first to determine if there are any app's causing this problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online