Solved: No disk space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Olivepetunia

One of my computers is a Dell DIMENSION E510 running Windows XP.
The machine recently became very sluggish and unresponsive. Among other things I thought of to do was to run a defragmentation program. When I tried to run the program it showed that there was 149gb of disk space and 0 (less than 1gb) of available space. The program stated that this is insufficient space to effectively run the program. I am at a loss as to how to determine what is eating up all the space.

Is this the correct forum?

Olivepetunia

My wife has a large number of pictures and music files on the hard drive. Then my daughter installed a LaCie backup program that created a backup file of everything (34gb) and saved that to the hard drive. When we deleted the backup on the hard drive it recovered 34% of the disk space. Now the cleanup begins.

Thank you much

Backups are a good idea (It's foolish not to have them). But when the hard drive fails, backups on that same drive are useless. Make backups elsewhere, on another drive, or if necessary, to BluRay or DVD. Then you can get things back when the drive dies (and it will if used).

Olivepetunia

I have no idea why this backup utility saves a copy on the hard drive in addition to the external drive. It doesn't seem to make sense to me but according to my daughter "that's the way it works". I'll look into it more over the weekend but at least we can work now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online