1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No drag and drop, or cut and paste of files...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by talon63, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. talon63

talon63 Thread Starter

After battling with and removing a Trojan Malware recently that hijacked my browsers. Now I have this problem with no functionality with drag and drop of files in explorer or cut and pasting of files.

The files that were infected were winlogon.exe and explorer.exe, both of which were identified, removed and then replaced from my XP installation CD. The Malware is now gone, my browser no longer redirected like it was with the infection.

I have run the various dlls for re-association as recommended, followed instructions from Microsoft, none of which worked, then uninstalled XP SP3 all to no avail. Still faced with this problem. I can copy from a command prompt but explorer.exe has lost this functionality. The options for drag and drop are enabled in IE and task bar.

Now stumped. I did hear one other suggestion was to remove XP SP2 and re-install, seems like back-peddling to me, am I missing something obvious here?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Reference HERE.

3. talon63

talon63 Thread Starter

Unfortunately that is a negative. This has got me stumped....

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

I always resort to running Dial-A-Fix when I get something like this. Often malware will unregister some dll's and this little free tool will take care of fixing that.

Install it and open the program. Click the Green Arrow button so that it checks all boxes. Click GO and allow time for it to complete. Takes a couple minutes usually. If it doesn't do any good, it does no harm so it's like chicken soup for the computer. ;)

Another good tool is Fix Policies developed by Bill Castner.

Try both, can't hurt, may help.

Next in line, run sfc /scannow and be prepared to supply your XP setup CD. I have never had much luck with this MS tool but you must try it. ;)

Then you may have to resort to a repair install since some files may have been damaged or lost when you cleaned the virus.

5. talon63

talon63 Thread Starter

Well interesting, got it fixed by regedit from here:

If no luck try this site for a "Drag and Drop" XP fix. The zip file is a direct link to down load the file (21kb).

http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm
    http://aumha.org/downloads/dragndropx.zip

Source: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=723934

sfc /scannow would not work, explorer.exe is basically disabled, file manipulation from command prompt only in this situation, meaning it can not access the install cd from Windows :(

And I think you are right about the file associations getting messed. I may try the Dial-A-Fix and Fix Policies. I did run Uniblue which I have but I have never been impressed with it, doesn't seem to cause problems but didn't fix anything in this situation.

6. talon63

talon63 Thread Starter

WARNING!!! Anyone using Dial-A-Fix better rename your C:\Documents folder before hand, then rename it back after. Apparently it states, there is an unfixed bug deletes the documents folder!!!!

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

That would apply if someone has created a C:\Documents folder since that not a standard Windows folder. I've tested that and it doesn't delete one that I create so perhaps it's applicable to certain systems only???

8. talon63

talon63 Thread Starter

Yes, not sure about, c:\documents, most systems it is c:\my documents, but thought I should mention it just in case. I know some non-destructive recoveries in the past, mainly proprietary ones would copy a blank My Documents folder over your good one, hence you were always told to rename your My Documents folder. That is going a ways back, to like early XP, or Me, days.

9. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try Enable Drag & Drop

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

10. surferdude2

surferdude2

That's sound advice talon62. I use a similar precaution when editing the registry, especially if deleting a key. Rather than delete, I rename it with zzyzx as a prefix. That makes it very easy for the search engine to find it later if restoring or reference is needed. That'll not likely work as well if you happen to live in Zzyzx though. ;)

Thanks for the heads up,

dude

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice