Solved: No drivers loaded after reinstalling XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GuyinAK

I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 computer (Tag # 2KD0271) running XP Home, Service pack 2. I had the FBI virus on it and Dell could not solve my problem so I got it to boot and reloaded XP. No drivers showed up. I have a ? for all the items under Other Devices on the Device Manager page. I do have video and sound even though there is a ? on those devices. I have gone to Dell's site and downloaded the ethernet driver (R78500.exe) to a USB and loaded it but it does not show up on the computer as being loaded. What am I doing wrong.:mad: I have read several of the other posts and tried different things but nothing has helped. Please help I've been working on this problem for a week with no results.

etaf

Wayne
are you following the installation instructions
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731107359&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R78500.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r78500. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\r78500 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

GuyinAK

I have done that and then clicked on the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite which has been added to the Programs List. When I try to open it, it says that no Broadcom network adapters have been detected. It asks if I want to unstall the program. Yes or No. I choose No and another window opens but only has information about the program. I have tried this several times and still cannot get the driver to load. Any other suggestions?

TerryNet

Terry
Have you installed SP3?

Have you then installed the chipset drivers?

If you haven't done those in that order you are just playing hit and miss with other drivers.

GuyinAK

Thank you etaf and Terrynet. I again downloaded the drivers and chipset and installed them again. They finally loaded and the ethernet controller started working. Now I need to update to SP3 but as I said earlier, it wants to know what program created it. If I cannot find a fix I will start a new thread. Thanks again for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online