1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No drives were found

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Toti, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

hi guys !!

Beforehand thanks for any help and assistance and pls. forgive my English not my first language:eek:
    OK so..... after thinking it for a while my room mate and me decided to upgrade our O.S. from Windows XP home x32 to Windows Ultimate 7 x64, so we went a bought the O.S. and the guy in the tech.shop told us that there will be not problem, that the install is very easy and we will not have any problem..... :( wrong.

Ok guys this is what is happening we have installed windows XP homex32 in C partition. NTFS (Healthy System) cap. 189.91GB with free Space of 69.63 GB.

OK Question 1: Can we Install or wipe out C: partition and all data to Install W.7 instead ? and how to do it ?

Question 2 : Why when we place the Install disc of W.7 x64 we don't see any Drive listed ? as in this post :
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/904441-windows-7-installation-problems.html
    We can't see the C:partition and we can't make "create" any changes or create a new partition to install W.7 :( in that window.

pls. sorry for our ignorance and tak for any help :eek:

Toti

2. Lance1

Lance1

Do you have SATA hard drives? You need to load the drivers for them in order to have W7 read them. Here is a tutorial. Windows 7 Install Guide

3. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Im gonna read the link to see what is about, right now and I'l be back :)

Thanks Lance1 BRB . reading.

Ok we are stuck in the image 2.3 and over.

SATA hard drive ? how can I see if I have a SATA?

Its a Maxtor 6 L200SO SCSI disk drive DVD rom

4. Lance1

Lance1

Yes that is a SATA drive. Look in bios to see if you can use IDE compatibility mode for your SATA drive, this will allow you to install without the SATA drivers.

5. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

ok....... IDE compatibility mode for SATA drive......... ok, Im on it, brb. booting into BIOS and i'll look around IDE comaptibility

BRB.

==========================

Ok back bad news :( no I didnt found anything that let me choose or put IDE compatibility on BIOS as far I saw I got just teh normal :
    Primary IDE master
    '' '' slave
    Secondary IDE master
    " " slave

but thats all , I just got in my system a Hard drive as master the Maxtor.

6. Lance1

Lance1

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

7. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Asus P5RD1-Vm

8. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Pls...... don't tell me that our Mobo don't support Windows 7x 64 !!

The guy in the tech. shop told us that everything was going to be ok :( he ask us about the Mobo as well and he said " no problem girls, piece o cake , your're gonna be just fine"

Grrr...

--------------------------

In case of the Mobo not compatible with this new O.S. I supposed were gonna have to go buy new Mobo, new Memory, new Processor, Install All that , then Install W.7 and then we will be able to see the C:// partition and then...create a new partition to install w.7 and then be able to delete the partition of XP .......is that correct ?

thansk for your help Lance1

T and K

9. Lance1

Lance1

Here's a link to the asus p5rd1 vm drivers I didn't see the sata drivers there so your going to have to do some searching for them. You can use Vista 64 sata drivers for the install, they should work. I'm off to bed. Good hunting and I'll check back tomorrow.

10. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

K thanks you cya tomorrow , I'll chek a bit more and off to bed as well nite Lance1
    thansk for al cya tomorrow.

Tomorrow I 'll see what I have to do with this drivers :( ?

T n K.

11. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Hi.... well before going to bed, I searched a bit more and I found this page that have a link to a Rapidshare account to download Sata drivers for XP.
    The link to Download the SATA drives are under ; STEP 2 , were it says ( or download the standard ones " here ", which work with most of the motherboards.)

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

Now do I have to put this Sata Drivers into a floopy , then boot the Install disc of windows 7 and when it ask again for :
    ( drives not found Click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for Install ),
    Is when I have to select the floppy disc and run the floppy, to be able to see a partition or create one to be able to install W.7 ?

It's that correct and are those SATA drives will gonna work?

-----------------------UPDATE----------------------------

OK..... so I download the Drives and put them in the floppy , once I booted from the W.7 disc installation It asked me again for the driver files, I click browse an point it to the Floppy disk and tried to install those SATA Drives, so... it read the floppy but .... nothing appeared in the screen when it finished scanning the floppy .
    It appeared checked were it says ( Hide any drives that don't match or are not compatible with this machine) so nothing showed up , but when I unchecked that choice, a large list of dirves appeared !
    So I have to abort because, because it didn't recognize any compatible SATA Drives :(
    So...... what to do next ?
    I think I didn't get the correct SATA Drives ?
    In the page it says that, it was almost compatible with all boards....guess I'm not the lucky one :(

Gonna go to sleep my eyes are closing , don't wanna do a $#@##$ !!! mistake .
    Hope someone can point me in the right direction to get the correct SATA or what ever files I need to be able to install W.7

Good nite guy ;)

12. antech

antech Banned

Please check
    IF THE PROCESSOR IS 64-BIT COMPITABLE..

13. Lance1

Lance1

14. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI Lance1

Thanks you very much for those ULI SATA drivers !!!

and about the MS compatible list ...... means I'm not gonna be able to install W7 >?!! :( or should I give it a try to see if it goes..?

Thansk antech I'm checking that as well.

T,

15. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Well.... I'm back .... with good news and bad news.

First of all Thansk very much Lance1 to help me and point me in the right direction and for antech as well.

Now.........

Good news the processor is compatible with 64 Bit .

Bad news I try the ULI SATA drivers but..... didn't work and when I unchecked the box of compatibility it don't show any :( .

So...Now... what are my choices....
    1.- New Motherboard/new memory/new processor/new power source and then Install O.S. ?
    2.- Kepp looking if found SATA drivers ?
    3.- Found the way to extract SATA drivers from Xp install disc ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice