1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No external hard drives recognizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nerd_in_trainin, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nerd_in_trainin

nerd_in_trainin Thread Starter

I've bought 4 different hard drives and none of them recognize on my computer. Not on device manager, disc management, my computer, nowhere. The power comes on on em though. Wutz up. Wut could be the problem. im runnin on windows xp.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Are they recognised in bios?
    What type of hard drives?
    Post pc specs

3. arknorth

arknorth

Are you plugging in the USBs before or after the machine has started? You should be doing it AFTER bootup, and allow XP to 'find' them.

Have you tried a flash drive in the same manner? Does the computer 'see' them?

A-N

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

With the drive plugged in if you go into Device Manager, see any yellow"?"?
    Run,devmgmt.msc and hit "enter" to go into Device Manager.

5. nerd_in_trainin

They are external plug and play hard drives. Ya know. for backin up the comp. I start it up after bootup, when the comp is already on Im logged in and the startup is complete. Usb jump drives are recognized. Already checked in the device manager. No yellow, the drives werent found anywhere.

Hp Pavillion
    Was windows 200 me but upgraded to xp pro
    service pack three

Intel Pentium 3 processor
    996MHz, 384 MB Ram
    2 usb ports at 500mA per port
    (very crappy computer but still has more than ssytem requirements for the drives)

6. ryanclemson

ryanclemson

i had the same issue with a friend's computer once. since the computer is older, does it have USB 1.0 ports? are the newer external hdds backward compatible with USB 1?

i tried installing a seagate external drive on a really old PC, it wouldn't even recognize it.

7. arknorth

arknorth

I have my external staring me in the face right now - here's the normal things that customers will forget to check when I fix them for them -

1 - Customers plugging the drive into the USB on the computer before the computer is turned on - for it's first encounter with a new external drives, most computers want to be up and running before plugging them in.

2 - Most customers do not realize that large format externals (based on 3.5" hard drives) have power switches... oops...

3 - As ryanclemson pointed out - the customer picked up an external HD that is not backwards compatible, and they only have USB 1.0 or 1.1 available (An HP with a PIII in it deffinitely has USB 1.1s max).

The upgrade to XP Pro should have brought the USB jacks to a 'live' status, so that the plug-and-play should work constantly - BUT... HP did make a few machines late in the PIII series that did not like being upgraded (I've got one sitting beside me - Model 8766C - it actually crashes when you attempt to put XP into it - and it came out the year XP came out). It could be a hardware issue inside the confuser, depending on the model.

A-N

8. nerd_in_trainin

It is backwards compatible. I made sho 2 get one that was. i mean but if it wasnt, would the computer still turn the drive on? it powers the EHD. The light comes on, it just wont recognize it. anywhere. I proly gotta do the old, save to cd thang huh? I hate to do that though.

9. arknorth

arknorth

No, even on the USB 1.1s, they will 'activate' an external, but might not recognize it... oh, I just thought of something... any idea what the maximum size your INTERNAL HD can be? You could be trying to put too large an external onto a machine that old. Try to put too large an internal HD into it, it will simply limit the size and waste a perfectly good big HD - but on an external, it would probably just ignore it... hummm...

A-N

10. Hughv

Hughv

Do these drives have their own power supply?

11. nerd_in_trainin