1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No Fans No Post but has green motherboard light!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LWC Work, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LWC Work

LWC Work Thread Starter

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can make towards a solution.

I should point out here that I have looked over the forum before asking my question and as it seems slightly different in the way that it happened I thought I would ask.

My system spec:
    AMD 64 Athlon 3400 & Fan Kit
    Asus A8V Wifi Motherboard
    WesternDigital SATA 120GB HD 7,200rpm
    Sparkle 6800 128Gb Graphics
    2 Gb Geil Duel Channel Ram (4*512)
    Sony Floppy
    NEC DVD Writer
    Lian-Li Case
    600W Power Supply

I build the computer last night, spent lots of time making sure I followed all the directions. Spent about 20 mins wondering if I should turn it on to see if the processor fan would turn. After a few ciggys I finally build up the courage to turn it on and it all lit up wonderfully. Power light and case fans came alive CPU fan turned and the monitor flickered to life. Went through the BIOS and set the DVD Drive as the boot disk so I could install Windows XP.

Restarted my PC and it asked me if I wanted to boot from CD or HD went for the CD option and started the Window installation, it then said that it was a new HD and needed to be formatted I said ok and at 5% I realised that I was actually installing Windows ME by mistake. Being the stupid person I am I turned off the powersupply switch.

When I tried to wake up the PC I get no power supply fans no CPU fan no case fans but there is a green light on the motherboard. I have tried removing the Graphics card the HD so far. Tonight I will try to strip it down and start one peice at a time to find the problem. But in the mean time is there a possibility I have killed it turning it off while the HD was being formated? And can anyone think of a reason turning it off during this process would create this strange issue?

Thanks again for all your help.

Playing games since ZigZag on the ZX80 and Elite on the BBC B Micro

2. n2gun

n2gun

Clear the bios with the jumper or by removing the battery for a few minutes. It sounds like there may be a conflict there.

3. LWC Work

LWC Work Thread Starter

Thanks N2Gun, I cleared the bios twice last night but there was no change.

I even left the battery out of the PC over night to let the capacitors discharge.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Are you getting any beep codes at all??

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you working on carpet?

Welcome to TSG by the way.

6. WarC

WarC

Make sure the switch is back to the "on" position :)

If you have another powersupply handy, try booting the computer with it. What brand is this powersupply?

7. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

No beeps or anything.

Thank you for your warm welcome :) Ive read the boards for a while I like to try to find an answer before I ask a question, and lots of good advise here!

Nope im not working on carpet although I put a sheet on the table when i build the PC. But I put no parts on the sheet exept the motherboard tray from the inside of my PC.

HEHE I like it :)

I do have a powersupply but its on a Dell and they have special power connections to the Mobo so dont think i can use it I will give it a go though and let ya know.

Thanks all for your input! :)

8. ~Candy~

Strip it down and hook it up outside of the case.

I'm thinking somehow the motherboard got zapped though..........I recently lost one in a similar way, except I didn't turn it off during an install. On the second or third boot up, it just decided to pass away on me :(

9. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

OK I have taken it all out of the case now and tried booting it with one stick of ram and the graphics card when I shorted the power on pins with a screwdriver the CPU fan came to life and it gives me one continuous beep so i turned it off again. Im now consulting the motherboard manual to see what the beep is about.

Im thinking there may be a problem with the connection from the power on button on the case to the motherboard?

10. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

Hehe not even gona think of that yet :) if it has happened I guess ill just have to shell out for a new one not much chance of me getting a replacement from ASUS I guess.

11. LukeW

LukeW

power supply, keyboard or motherboard error is usually 1 continuous beep

12. ~Candy~

I have found out that with a dead motherboard, you get no beeps :D

13. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

Sorry im so dense :) plugging keyboard in now :D

14. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

:D

Well keyboard is in and still continuous beep going on. I dont want to leave it turned on while its doing this because I dont want to damage the processor, cant find beep codes in the ASUS manual it just keeps going on about the Voice Post Reporter, Im hereing no voice just a beep :)

15. LWC Prothall

LWC Prothall

Just read some posts on the ASUS support pages that say the ASUS motherboards which have Voice Post Report do not use Beep codes and that any beeps you here relate to how many USB devises you have plugged into it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice